Sunday, September 15, 2013


Twin Fawns

In midsummer while searching feverishly for Dad’s small cattle herd, I stopped to lop off limbs that were beginning to block the trail that I drive frequently in Dad’s old pickup. Perspiring and anxious, I looked up to see two wide-eyed fawns staring back at me as though mesmerized. Intricate patterns of spots marked their tense backs. These two young whitetail deer stood motionless for what seemed an incredibly long time. I regretted for a moment not having my camera in the battered pickup, but my worry and concern over cattle that had probably roamed over to our neighbor’s unoccupied pasture overarched all else. I chose to disregard our neighbor’s admonishment echoing in my mind, “I don’t want you over there worrying about your cattle. I’m checking them.” He had told me this more than once. Nevertheless, I insisted on resuming my effort to locate the cattle failing to see that God had led me to an exquisite phenomenon of nature tucked away in a quiet, remote area of the pasture. Driven by my anxiety, I missed soaking in this extraordinary experience with the twin fawns. I am sad to say that I jumped back into Dad’s treasured, vintage vehicle, revved it up, and charged ahead right into the path of those curious fawns. Obviously and instinctively, the young deer sped into the timber.

How often do I fail to see God’s gracious hand bringing to me exquisite, intangible gifts?

Lord, slow me down, give me the calmness and strength to trust You, and recognize each of the wonderful gifts You daily send to me.


 This is exactly the photo shot (taken from informedfarmers.com)  I could have gotten if I had been moving at the pace God intended instead of at my own frenzied speed. Wouldn’t that have been a priceless photo to have in one’s own photography collection?


FYI - Did you know that whitetail does are more likely to have twin fawns than a single birth?

No comments :

Post a Comment