Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Memory of Last Christmas

Christmas Cats
Over the Thanksgiving weekend, one of my friends had her precious dog accidentally ran over by a car. It brought to the forefront of my memory the loss of some of our beloved farm cats this past summer and the dear memories of time spent with them.
Snow and Patches Helping Hang the Wreath - Christmas 2012

Looking at this photo of Patches and Snow from last year reminds me of this moment in time with these two loving felines. I had taken the wreath from its box and was preparing to hang it on the front porch. I was called inside so I set the wreath in the stacked chairs. Upon returning, I looked out the front door to see Snow and Patches posing for what became their Christmas photograph. I grabbed my camera and snapped this treasured photo of the two. It was as though they were saying, “Come on, Bernadean, we’ve been patiently waiting for you to get this wreath hung. We are here to lend a helping paw.”
This attitude of being involved in all "their human" was doing typified these two cats. Snow was one to come anytime he heard me. Even when he was quite ill, he would try to follow me. He liked to be with his humans. Patches was a docile, affectionate cat with gorgeous eyes accented with, as Angie my sister referred to, “permanent eyeliner.” Patches  would have adored being an indoor "lap" cat.
Snow died in the early summer. Patches disappeared not long after his death.
My mother believes strongly that little children can be taught respect as they come to understand animals and how best to treat them. I am so thankful that God created animals that we could daily enjoy and love, because sometimes it seems they give so much more to us than we give to them.

No comments :

Post a Comment