Sunday, March 16, 2014

Living the Shamrock Life


How to Live the Shamrock Life All Year Round Not Just on St. Patrick’s Day
             On March 2, we marked two years since Dad’s stroke. The five of us in our family saw a change in our lives as Dad began his path to stroke recovery.
            Charlotte Hutchens, our dear friend and neighbor to my parents, dropped by my parents’ home just days after Dad came home. She and her husband had provided much-needed support to us. Now she came bearing a small flowerpot with a shamrock in it. I already knew the account of Saint Patrick using the shamrock to teach the Irish people of the trinity of the scriptures – God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit – three in one. However, this little plant came to mean so much more than even that powerful incident in Saint Patrick’s history. What an encouragement and teacher this little plant has been to us who are caregivers for my father!
          I remember the first morning I awakened and was aware of the shamrock plant. It was as if the little leaf clusters were stretching their arms welcoming the morning and praising the Lord. I immediately recalled the scripture in Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it. As I discussed with my sister my reaction to the little shamrock plant on the occasional table near where we took turns sleeping near Dad, she shared that each morning it was as if the tiny plant was saying, “This is a new day. You’re refreshed and ready to begin.”
          As we chatted, we remarked to each other how as we retired for the evening, the same little leaf clusters closed their arms. My sister stated that when she saw the shamrock plant in the evening, she felt like it was saying, “The day is over with its stress and work, so now close your eyes, let it all go, and rest.” One of my father’s favorite scriptures came to mind as I viewed the tiny plant. Dad loved to quote the verse from Ecclesiastes 5:12, The sleep of the laboring man is sweet. Only the Lord knew the extent of the work we were doing to hasten our father’s recovery.
          Now as we lie down near Dad’s bed, we draw strength from the visual reminder of the plant that no matter how hectic and chaotic the day may have seemed, we should recline, give our worries to the Lord, and close our eyes and rest our worn and weary bodies. David, the beloved psalmist, wrote in Psalm 4:8, I will both lie down in peace and sleep;  For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. We realized God is so mindful of Dad’s situation as well as ours.  He has all of our lives in His control. We can relax and rest in His peace. 
           What a powerful, constant encouragement that little shamrock is whether day or night! Recently I overheard a visitor commenting on the shamrock plant to Mother. Mother explained how the plant has encouraged us. Then with a chuckle, she said, “But I don’t always live the shamrock life.”

The shamrock plant given to Mother by
Charlotte Hutchens as it looks during the day.
           None of us always live the shamrock life, but it is definitely a worthwhile aim and reaps immeasurable benefits all year long, not just on St. Patrick’s Day.

The shamrock plant at night.
        


No comments :

Post a Comment