Sunday, April 27, 2014

Four Little Kittens

The Kittens and the Storm
                How badly we needed the rain, and it looked liked it could pour down at any minute! Angie, my sister and lover of animals, especially cats, said to me, “What are we going to do about the kittens?”
                About that time, a sprinkling of rain began. The mama cat, a first-time mother, had the four kittens in the flowerbed just to the west of the front door. She had tried to relocate them twice – once under Angie’s car and then a couple days later under my car. To top it off, that ginger cat that we dearly loved made a mad dash to get under Angie’s car when the downpour began, abandoning her kittens.
                I rushed to open the back door for Angie to grab a large, sturdy cardboard box. She snatched the remnants of an old shirt. As she scurried back into the house, she was lining the box with the old shirt. Just at the same moment, Ben, who had been trying to beat the rain to get a section of the lawn mowed, was quickly coming up the front porch steps with his t-shirt front rolled up, obviously holding something. Angie anxiously asked him, “Did you get all four?” He nodded.
                Immediately, I realized he had rescued, with one swoop, all four kittens from the drenching rain, blowing wind, and the intense pea-sized hail. My brother-in-law then deposited them into the box hastily prepared by Angie. I peeked into the box and was surprised to see four little fur balls sleeping soundly. They had not awakened amidst all the activity and above all, the fierce storm, their first storm.
                I couldn’t help but think how this little event parallels the life of a follower of Jesus. Frequently, we find ourselves in storms in life. Little do we know that often behind the scene, God is engineering various happenings and actions of others to sustain us through those storms. Sadly, many times, unlike the four little kittens, I do not rest in His faithfulness, power, and love. Instead, I focus on the storm itself, rendering myself paralyzed by fear and worry.
Peaches and her four newly-born kittens.
                I pray I can remember the sight of the four precious, little kittens peacefully resting in the box, oblivious to the blustery storm.
                Lord, when storms come into my life, give me faith and trust to rest in You and Your provisions for me, knowing You alone can see me through those challenging times.

The recently rescued four kittens resting peacefully in their
hastily prepared box.

No comments :

Post a Comment