Sunday, February 15, 2015

So Much More Than a School Secretary

t is hard to believe that this February 19th will mark nine years since Norma Jean Wulf's death. For those who loved and respected her, hopefully, this will be an impetus to contribute to the world the way Mrs. Wulf did.
A photo of Mrs. Wulf that captures the spirit with which
she lived life. (from findagrave.com - permission to use
from Jim L. Nelson)
           This morning as I helped Dad with his breakfast, I found myself humming “Higher Ground.” I never hum or sing this hymn without thinking of Norma Jean Wulf since she liked the hymn. Here are the words that encourage me. This second verse and its chorus typified Mrs. Wulf’s philosophy of life.
My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where those abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground. 


Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith, on Heaven's tableland,
A higher plane than I have found;
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.
                                         Public Domain
                   I remember attending Easter Sunrise services followed by delicious breakfasts at her home. Since my father and Mrs. Wulf's husband, Arthur, were close friends beginning when they both attended Woodland School during the early 1930s in the west Big Bend community, my father always wanted to start his Easter celebration at the Wulf farm.
               Mrs. Wulf was best known as the secretary at Crowder Elementary School in Fairfax, Oklahoma, and then serving in the same capacity after the consolidation of the two districts of Fairfax and Ralston under the new district named Woodland. She comforted and helped thousands of students during her tenure as school secretary.
               One of my most vivid memories was the day I overslept. Since Punctuality was my middle name when I taught third graders, I frantically arrived, having already called Norma Jean to report my impending tardiness. My first words indicated the regret at my tardiness. Norma Jean compassionately responded, "You probably needed the sleep." Her understanding set the tone for what could have been a trying day.
               Probably none of the students she assisted daily knew the sorrow she had been forced to deal with in her early adulthood. Both of her parents had been killed in a car accident when she was 36 years old. Her beloved husband, Arthur, had died only three years after they had celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary, making her a widow at age 49. Yet she had found the courage to enter the workforce and found a new calling that touched the lives of principals, teachers, students, and their parents as the school secretary.
               I recall reading a devotional book based on a different hymn in each day's reading. One day the hymn title was I Want a Principle Within. That hymn with such strong lyrics written by Charles Wesley wasn't to be found in the dozen or so hymnals I had. Since I knew the Wesleys were considered the founders of the Methodist denomination, and Mrs. Wulf was the church pianist at the Methodist church in Fairfax, I asked her about the hymn. The next morning on my desk in my classroom was the Methodist hymnal. Below are a couple of verses from this hymn.*
I want a principle within of watchful, godly fear,
A sensibility of sin, a pain to feel it near.
I want the first approach to feel of pride or wrong desire, 
To catch the wandering of my will, and quench the kindling fire.

Almighty God of truth and love, to me Thy power impart;
The mountain from my soul remove, the hardness from my heart.
O may the least omission pain my reawakened soul,
And drive me to that blood again, which makes the wounded whole.
                                                                                                  Public Domain

                 Mrs. Wulf lived by the principle she had within that dictated her thoughtfulness, consideration, and desire to make a difference for those she encountered. May those of us who remember her emulate her commitment to continually seek to follow the Lord in a walk that leads us to a higher place each day.

*The hymn, I Want a Principle Within might be unfamiliar to you. Here is a YouTube link to the performance of it by one of my favorite family singing groups, The Collingsworth Family.     

No comments :

Post a Comment