Sunday, October 18, 2015

Reflection on Bees, Butterflies, and Marigolds

Psalm 119:103 How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Persistent butterfly and the tenacious bee as seen near our tomato plants.

For several days, I noticed a bee and tiny butterflies on the marigolds planted near the four tomato plants that Hubert Hutchens gave us. He had raised them from seed so they were very healthy. The tomato plants were planted in containers.

Most of the marigolds were planted in the poor soil of the bed where the tomato plant containers are. Actually, the soil is shallow with some cement under a few areas of the soil. (That definitely explains why I practiced container gardening for my tomatoes!)

The marigolds have nectar that attracted bees and butterflies. These tiny insects diligently sought the sweet substance from the marigolds that grew from my "2 packets for $1" seeds.

How like God's word is the nectar from the marigolds! The sweet, appetizing nectar attracted the bees and butterflies. As I reflected on these intent insects, I remembered that nectar is considered sweeter than honey. What an illustration from God's creation to desire His word above all else! The psalmist says God's word is sweeter than honey and yet He showed me those little butterflies and that tenacious bee were vigorously seeking out the nectar of the marigolds that according to entomologists exceeds the sweetness of honey.

The nectar is essential for bees to create honey. The butterflies needed the nectar for their very existence. Only when we realize the necessity of daily reading or ingesting the Bible will we truly live a meaningful, worthwhile life, Look and learn from the bee and the butterflies.

Oh Lord, make my desire for Your scriptures mirror the voracious bee and the tiny butterflies craving the nectar of the marigolds. May I yearn for Your Word as the sweet nectar desired by the insects.

One of my many sightings of the determined insects. Oh to have their drive 
in our commitment to study God's Word consistently!

No comments :

Post a Comment