Sunday, November 8, 2015

The Broken Limb of the Tomato Plant

Support the Weak
                Hubert Hutchens gave me four tomato plants that he raised from seeds. Four plants were about my limit for gardening this year. Dad’s care took priority over all other usual chores and activities on the farm.
                With consistent watering, the tomato plants began to thrive. I battled tomato worms, but the plants soon were blooming and producing tiny green tomatoes.
                I don’t remember how or why. I only remember the morning I went out to feed the cats and discovered the broken limb. I was heartsick, but purposed to try to intervene in this gardening catastrophe.
                I tried to bolster the limb the best I could with a tomato cage. Soon I glimpsed tiny green tomatoes on the broken limb. At that moment, I determined to do all I could to bring those little immature, green tomatoes to maturity. My eyes fell on the heavy weight for the cellar door. What a perfect support for these tiny tomatoes! (A more seasoned gardener would never have resorted to such a measure.)
                Then just this week I picked the first ripened tomato sustained by the cellar door weight instead of its broken limb. My! It tasted delicious.
 
                Frequently, I encounter broken people. In reality, we are all broken in one way or another. Of course, Jesus said he came to heal the brokenhearted when He read from Isaiah 61:1-2 in His first public appearance in the synagogue(worship place) in his hometown. Paul gave us the example of himself. He used the phrase, “Support the weak” in Acts 20:35.
                Isn’t that what we should do? Just like the cellar door weight, we who have more maturity in following Jesus have a great responsibility to uplift and support the weaker or less mature person. A couple of reminders are needed. The weight of the cellar door was required for an extended period. Supporting someone is an ongoing project. A consistent bearing up of the broken limb was needed. Spasmodic interest in strengthening a weaker individual results in ineffectiveness and leads to more disappointment in the person’s life. Just as the cellar door weight served as a constant, consistent support for the broken limb’s tomatoes, a mentor provides ongoing, reliable guidance insuring growth and maturity to bring the jeopardized person to a beautiful realization of goals and dreams. This results in a peaceful, contented life for both individuals.
                If God has brought into your life a person needing your support, begin by faithfully praying for that person each day and asking Him to give you wisdom in how He wants you to provide support. Patience and commitment to the person is required. Unlike the cellar door weight, change will occur in you, too.

No comments :

Post a Comment