Sunday, February 12, 2017

Watering the Piano

Who Knew a Vintage Piano Needed Water?
                The beautifully restored 1916 Story and Clark upright grand piano emitted a loud twang while I was on the telephone. Mother heard the startling noise from a distant room. The incident prompted me to contact the piano restoration expert, Bill Miller, of Tulsa. Mr. Miller had completely restrung the piano’s strings along with renovating it inside and out last year. To learn more about that restoration, access the blog post entitled I Hope This Is Not My Seward’s Folly:
Mr. Miller at the restored piano.
                 Upon Mr. Miller’s arrival, he confirmed my speculation. One of the strings had broken when we heard the loud “zing.” Several other issues needed to be addressed. His capable assistant, Alan, went to work alongside Mr. Miller. He assured me that each concern could be corrected. He wanted to do another tuning to get this instrument of yesteryear in finest sound.
                 Curiously, Mr. Miller informed me of a step I needed to take to keep the upright grand in sterling condition all through the winter months. He explained the vintage piano constructed, over a hundred years ago, of imported wood – valued handsomely in its own right – suffered horribly from the heat required in a home during the cold of winter. The heat dried out the wood, resulting in damage to the otherwise beautifully-sounding instrument.
                He said the solution is simple – a small plastic bowl of water, equaling about one cup, placed in the corner of the base of the Story and Clark treasure. Mr. Miller stipulated that I maintain the water in the bowl, advising that I check it on a two-week cycle. “You’ll be surprised how quickly that water will disappear,” Mr. Miller quipped.
                I asked about a contraption (humidifier, dehumidifier, and a control unit) I had seen to regulate the moisture inside pianos. The placement of it on an upright piano becomes almost impossible and since it remains on, mold and mildew can exacerbate the piano owner’s dilemma according to Mr. Miller, aka The Piano Man.
Alan,the knowledgeable assistant
                After he and Alan had gone, I reflected on the importance of water to the optimal performance of the 1916 upright grand piano. Immediately, I thought of the phrase used by the Apostle Paul in his letter to the church at Ephesus from chapter 5, verse 26, Sanctify and cleanse…with the washing of water by the Word. Paul’s likening of God’s Word to water struck me in light of the piano repair and its recommended ongoing care.
                Many people have referred to experiencing a “trial by fire” or being “in the hot seat” when going through a challenging ordeal or experience. David wrote of finding himself in that predicament as he wrote Psalm 119:25:
My soul clings to the dust; Revive me according to Your Word.
These statements cause me to envision someone with a parched soul, ready to succumb. The only hope for this person, drained of life by the heat of adversity, is renewal by the Word of God. I attest, in times of concern for Dad following his strokes, that only by reading the promises of God’s Word did I gain strength to continue doing the task He had called us to do.
                From the same chapter, these words from verse 131 aptly describe the dehydrated soul’s longing for God’s Word:
I opened my mouth and panted, For I longed for Your commandments.
There are times I have felt such aridity in my heart that it seemed like I needed intravenous access to His scripture.
                In one sense, as we read the Bible, study and discuss it with friends, meditate upon its truths, access social media in which we see and hear its principles whether in words, visuals, or music, we ingest His powerful truths into our bone-dry lives. This continual acquisition of these words of encouragement, strength, and power is like the refreshment of water to a thirsty person.
Bernadean and Bernyce at the restored piano.
                The vintage piano’s wood had dried so much that it broke one of the strings. The sound it produced was altered greatly. Hopefully, the continual presence of the little bowl of water will prevent the valuable Honduran wood from drying in this destructive way.
                In the same manner, as we daily face moisture-sapping events, relying on the principles of God’s Word throughout our days, will nourish our spirits. Just as I will keep the piano hydrated at all times, we must maintain the intake of scriptures each day. Then our lives will make beautiful music in the hearing of all we encounter.
                By the way, the vintage piano that I saved from being salvaged, sounds incredible. You can be sure I will check the little bowl and be sure to keep the piano "watered."

No comments :

Post a Comment