Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Archaic Clothesline, Clapping Sunflowers, and a Heart for Worship

Eleven years ago, I wrote this manuscript and "tucked" it away. It has survived two computers crashing and many other changes. Dad is no longer on the earth with us. Several of the trees have fared poorly in thunderstorms. Yet God and how He relates to us remains the same.
Lessons Learned at an Archaic Clothesline
One Saturday morning, I was hanging damp laundry out to dry on the clothesline in the back yard of my parents’ farm home. The mindless task allowed time to simply enjoy the natural surroundings. The exceptionally slow-paced activity enabled me to absorb the moment and in an uncanny way, relax and energize my mind and body.
A slight breeze began to blow stirring the hot July air a bit.  Suddenly the verdant leaves of the red bud tree, the apricot trees, the plum trees, the pecan trees, the maple tree, the mimosa tree, and the monstrous Chinese elm commenced rustling ever so slightly, emitting a soft, mesmerizing sound. As I lifted my eyes from the clothesline, over the chain-link fence bounding the back yard, I spotted the large leaves of the twelve-foot sunflowers in Dad’s garden giving the appearance of clapping. Instantly, I was reminded of the scripture in Isaiah 55:12 that joyously states, “…all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.”  “Then all the trees of the woods will rejoice before the Lord,” the psalmist says in Psalm 96:12. What a worshipful experience to be in the very presence of God’s majestic creations praising Him and rejoicing in their adulation of the Lord of all! 
Dad with his sunflowers that I saw "clapping." 
Then to my surprise the breezy atmosphere in the back yard unexpectedly quieted. The gentle wafting ceased, creating an enveloping stillness that slowly pervaded the entire back yard. Momentarily almost a holy hush fell over my little part of the world.  Flooding from my early memory was the remembrance of a large reminder that hung at the front of the sanctuary of the Big Bend Baptist Church where my family attended during my early elementary school days. “The Lord is in His holy temple. Let all the earth keep silence before Him.” was emblazoned in gilt lettering on the rich blue background. These beautifully inscribed words, taken from Habakkuk 2:20, seemed so appropriate to describe this present continuation of my backyard worship experience.
     As I placed a clothespin on a towel, the unmistakably clean scent of freshly washed laundry drifted to my nose. I reflected on all God was bringing to the forefront of my spiritual consciousness. 
I realized that so frequently worship experiences consist of a time of audible praise, whether spoken testimony, a corporate responsive reading, a verbalized prayer, or a hymn sung to His honor. This initial aspect of worship is active in nature. It involves the worshiper doing something to show devotion, love, or adoration to the Lord.
Secondly, almost in a cyclical manner, a quiet time of reflection follows the outward praise experience. It replicates a “worshipful breathing.”  The exhalation of praise on our part is much like our lungs exhaling in a rhythmic manner. Then in our physical bodies, our lungs immediately inhale the necessary oxygen. In the same way, a worshiper must inhale moments of solitude in God’s presence, just reflecting on His attributes. A clear understanding of these qualities of the Living God enables us to implicitly entrust our eternity, as well as day-to-day living, into His care.
     What powerful, life-altering lessons God can teach from His creations! I will never look at swaying branches or a slight breeze in quite the same manner. Perhaps both natural occurrences will always inspire a brief personal worship time simply by recalling the impromptu, spiritual lesson gained at an archaic clothesline.

No comments :

Post a Comment