Sunday, April 22, 2018

Putting on a New License Plate...

 …a Lesson in Responding to Constructive Criticism
               New license plates were issued last year. Getting the old tag off my car proved relatively easy for someone who moved back to the farm six years ago with little mechanical capability and even less desire to gain any prowess in that area.
As I continued with the license plate replacement, I ran into a challenge loosening the needed bolts and nuts from the old plate. Soon I engaged my 93-year-old mother in discussion because she usually has a workable solution to try for most difficulties I encounter. Over the last few years, I had gained enough handywoman experience to ask her, “What about WD-40?”! She affirmed it was worth trying.
 I drenched the stubborn hardware on the soon-to-be discarded plate with the WD-40 from Mother’s stash of handywoman resources. Sitting on the front porch step with newspaper under the old plate, I was astounded how quickly the rusted nut turned deftly as I grasped it with the pliers. Just seconds before, it was immovable. 

As I continued with the installation of the shiny, new license plate, I mused on what God was teaching from such a simple task. What was the purpose of rusted, stubborn fasteners, unwilling to yield to pliers and a screwdriver, even after exerting as much force as I could muster?
I went to the Word of God. Turning to Psalm 141, a psalm of David, I began reading verse 5. These words illumined my understanding conveyed by my previous job.
Let the righteous strike me; It shall be a kindness. And let him rebuke me; It shall be as excellent oil; Let my head not refuse it. For still my prayer is against the deeds of the wicked. Psalm 141:5 (NKJV)
David mentions the righteous – an individual who is right with God, not through the person’s own good deeds, but because that one’s sins are forgiven. The shepherd king requests the righteous person correct him, get him in line. The psalmist indicates that gentle, but effective critique provided by one who genuinely cares illustrates a kindness that is soothing. David adamantly insists he will welcome the constructive criticism which acts as the gentle massage of oil to a head dried, burned, and chapped by a scorching, hot wind.
The WD-40 lubricated the stuck bolt that appeared useless and ineffective. Following the application of the oil, the previous unusable bolt and nut readily affixed the new license plate to place. In the same way, a godly person concisely speaking a timely word of corrective criticism can see results in the hearer if the constructive criticism is accepted and followed.

Seek God’s guidance to speak words like soothing oil for the betterment in the life of a loved one. In turn, accept graciously the useful and beneficial critique by a caring person. Then each of us can embrace openheartedly the opportunity for progress in our lives.

No comments :

Post a Comment