Sunday, August 5, 2018

Couldn't Get the Gate Open


 I heard a retelling of this family story from Mr. Sparks, my former high school principal, and his wife, Sue. The impact of this little boy's obedience struck me as a profound example of why Jesus commanded us to be as little children. As these great-grandparents answered my inquiries about Little Kaddo's obedience, I ingested the story and soon asked for permission to share it in a blog post. I am indebted  to Sue and Marvin Sparks for sharing the story, to Kaddo's parents for their permission to retell this powerful illustration of unconditional obedience, and to  ASC/Photography64 for allowing use of their photographs.
Resolute Little Kaddo 
Photography by
ASC/Photography64 


                Can a two-year-old follow a directive and accept responsibility? You bet! Here’s proof of it from a real-life happening.
                Sometimes parents give their firstborn child more responsibility - especially after the birth of a second child. Frequently, this occurs unconsciously from needing a little extra help with the second child. Who better to do this than the older child?
                Recently, a set of great-grandparents recounted an event in the life of their little two-year-old great-grandson. From stories told about little Kaddo, I could tell he was a precocious child, functioning well beyond his years.
                One night not long after his baby brother arrived, his dad told Kaddo to go let his running buddy, their dog, into the barn with the goats. The dog provided security each night for the little nannies and billies.
                Time elapsed and young Kaddo had not returned. His mother expressed concern over her two-year-old taking the dog to his nightly sleeping quarters. His dad assured her their older son could do the assigned task.
                Finally, after an uncomfortably, lengthy amount of time passed, my friends’ grandson strode to the barn to find out why his two-year-old son was delayed.
                Upon reaching the gate to the barn, he spotted Kaddo perched silently on the fence. His father queried, “What are you doing?”
                “Couldn’t get the gate open,” the astute little boy replied.
Whereupon, his father questioned, “Why didn’t you come to the house and get us?”
Without batting an eye, the perceptive little man fired back confidently, “I knew you would come.”
As his great-grandparents related their “Kaddo” story, my eyes widened and my voice responded softly, “What a powerful example of trusting God explicitly and waiting patiently for Him!”
When God gives us a directive as Kaddo’s dad gave him, do we immediately move to obey Him? When we arrive at the place He has indicated for us to be, if everything is not in place as we had envisioned, do we continue endeavoring to do what we know God wants us to do? Or does our complaining begin, coupled with hand-wringing and whiny prayers questioning why God isn’t acting as we anticipated?
Therefore the Lord will wait, that He may be gracious to you;

And therefore He will be exalted that He may have mercy on you.

For the Lord is a God of justice; Blessed are all those who wait for Him.

Isaiah 30:18

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, And in His word I do hope.

My soul waits for the Lord more that those who watch for the morning –

Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.

Psalm 130:5-6

Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul,

Like a weaned child with his mother;

Like a weaned child is my soul within me.

Psalm 131:2

Lord, may I be like Little Kaddo in my explicit, patient obedience to You. May I trust You as I go through my day-to-day tasks with such wholehearted obedience that only You will get the honor.
Kaddo and one of his goats
Photography by ASC/Photography64

No comments :

Post a Comment