Sunday, July 28, 2019

A Physician Like Luke...

 ...and a Vintage Newsletter
On August 8, the late Dr. Hansel L. Ratliff would have turned 93 years old. Dr. Ratliff served as our family’s doctor for most of my formative years and even into my early years of teaching. One of my last appointments with him began with these words, “Well I know if a Gates comes to see me, they are really sick.” He intended it as a compliment. Hopefully, the Gates family's self-doctoring or “just toughin’ it out” (a phrase from my father) didn’t exacerbate Dr. Ratliff’s diagnosis or his treatment choices.
Dr. Ratliff grew up in Ceres, a farming community, and received his education at Red Rock High School. He understood so many of his rural patients in his practice at Pawnee, Oklahoma. His down-to-earth, compassionate demeanor made him a favorite with so many in the area.
Mother had saved a newsletter mailed from the Pawnee Family Clinic. Unheard of today, the back page of his clinic’s newsletter looked like this:
In his obituary in March of 2015, Dr. Ratliff’s wholehearted devotion to the Lord was reiterated. He continued his commitment to Jesus after moving from Pawnee. This statement from his printed obituary encapsulated the good doctor I knew. His love for Jesus and God’s word was the foundation of his life.
The photograph appeared with his obituary. To access the complete obituary, click on this link: http://obituaries.normantranscript.com/obituary/hansel-ratliff-745051822
                As I write this posting, memories of several physicians much like Dr. Ratliff flooded my mind plus the faces of their capable nurses. Like Luke, the beloved physician to the Apostle Paul, not only treated physical ailments but desired his patients and friends knew who Jesus was. Here is what he wrote in the introduction to his gospel in Luke 1:3-4.
It seemed good to me…to write an orderly account for you…that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught.
As with most blog postings I write, I research usually to be sure I am publishing correct facts. Interestingly, this week I discovered one of Dr. Ratliff’s son and his family serve as international missionaries in Thailand. Here is a link to learn a little about their ministry: https://www.zoarbaptist.org/missions/global-missions/missionary-detail/quintin-kim-ratliff/ What a legacy that bears out Dr. Ratliff’s own commitment to follow Jesus! May this spur each of us to live as God ordained us to serve Him.

No comments :

Post a Comment