Sunday, February 23, 2020

It Was a Good Day to be a Cowboy


                I realize I am alienating over half of the readers of this weekly posting. Until the last minutes of Basketball Bedlam play at Gallagher-Iba Arena, I would have never dreamed of writing about an Oklahoma State Bedlam win, but a three-point shot inspired me.
                46 years ago, attending OSU ranked high on my goals. Even though, some had indicated my introverted tendencies rendered that desire nil. In a brief, but quiet exchange with Ron Badley, our high school superintendent, for some reason I mentioned my future success at Oklahoma State had been questioned. Mr. Badley expressed confidence in my  capability. His encouragement fueled my pursuance of acceptance at OSU.
                Thankfully, I received a grant for my tuition, contingent on my maintaining a high grade point average. At that point, Glen Hadlock entered my life. Cattle prices were at a low in 1974 (around 35¢/lb. for steers). Mother said, “You can borrow money cheaper as a student than we can.”
    I met with Glen at Fairfax First State Bank and found him eager to loan additional money for my university room and board at Stillwater. He repeatedly asked me if the $1,000 loan would be enough for my freshman year of studies. I affirmed it would cover my needs. We repeated these annual appointments for the next three consecutive years. A few years ago, after learning of my frugality those four years at OSU, he told me, “I knew you were NOT borrowing enough!”
                In 1979, I met his wife, Marilyn, when we taught together at Crowder Elementary School in Fairfax. We shared some wonderful years together even though we were on opposite ends of the building since she taught sixth grade and I instructed third graders and taught primary music. During those years, I found time to sit briefly in our teachers’ lounge and visit many times with Marilyn.
                Now back to the 2/22/2020 edition of Bedlam basketball – Mother and I listened to Cowboy basketball on radio since we have antenna TV and not cable. I listened until half-time and decided I’d better get pellets out for the cattle and check the herd. The weather was so nice I had to do some tasks before the rain. As I drove back from the pasture, I flipped on Dave Hunziker and John Holcomb as they called the game. I pleasantly discovered the Cowboys had built up a 10-point lead.
                I forced myself to complete the outdoor chores and pre-rain tasks. Finally, I finished and zipped into the house and immediately inquired, “Is OSU still leading?” My 95-year-old mother responded joyfully, “They have a big lead!”
I sat down to take in the final minutes. What unbounded joy to hear J. K. Hadlock, the grandson of Glen and Marilyn Hadlock, entered the game! I whooped when J. K. let go a three-point shot and it fell for the final three points as I  yelled exuberantly, “That was J.K.!”
J. K., a member of the Osage Nation who grew up in rural Osage County, tried out during a time when Coach Mike Boynton extended a plea to the student body for quality basketball players. J.K. was selected and earned a spot on the team. 
Hopefully, most readers have a special place in their hearts for Osage County residents. This posting is not about a bedlam basketball win, but a local young man who has done well and made Fairfax, Osage County, Marilyn and Glen Hadlock and all his family proud. Congratulations, J.K.! 
When I taught at Woodland Elementary School, we had one
fundraiser each year - a basketball festival that allowed every
WES student to participate if he or she wanted to play. Parents
and family members willingly paid an entry fee and bought their
meals and snacks at the teacher-operated concession stand. This
was one of the fourth grade teams in 2007 whose photograph
was published in the Cougar 2007, the school yearbook that year.
On the front row- Nolan Bratton, Rowdy Heath, Austin
Holloway, and Zane Vandaveer. On the back row - Joshua
 Ridgway, J. K. Hadlock and Payton Terry. 

No comments :

Post a Comment