Sunday, September 27, 2020

One Version of Learning From Home

                My only sibling, Angie Gates Bradley, celebrates a birthday this week. A few days ago, as I slowly mowed the area outside the yard fence, Angie came to mind as I cut closely to the concrete surrounding the west end of the chicken house repurposed for a storage shed to park the vintage Ford pickup.

                Trying to minimize weed-eating, as I crept the lawn mower along, I glimpsed letters barely visible, engraved in the concrete. After completing the mowing, I returned to the mysterious letters. 

The barely perceptible A N G E L A

Angie’s name printed in the concrete caused memories of that time in our lives to surface in my thoughts. I recalled my second and third grade years at Ralston. To my delight, Mrs. Akers taught me both in second and third grade. She and I shared a great love for music so being in her classroom for two years delighted my musical soul.

            I distinctly remember Angie as a preschooler eager to learn as soon as I debarked each day from the Bend bus. Most days, Angie and I played school with me teaching, but it was solid learning. Angie’s drive to learn coupled with a commitment to mastery ensured that.

In February of 1964, Mrs. Akers planned a presentation for our 2nd and 3rd grade combination class. She assigned a poem entitled, Dear Granny, I Love You, for me to recite at the program. Mrs. Akers requested I have a large heart to hold as I recited the poem. Of course, My mother, Bernyce Smith Gates, created a gorgeous red heart edged in lace, adorned with glittery flowers and the poem title emblazoned boldly on it. 

Angie delighted to be holding the heart.

With four adults who spurred us to do any task to the best our ability allowed, I recited the poem probably ad nauseum. Being the driven, sharp cookie that she was, Angie, at 2 ½ years of age, memorized it and could recite it flawlessly. The huge heart enamored her, and my maternal grandparents and parents allowed her to hold it and exhibit her memorization skills. Boy! Her prowess with voice projection, inflection and knowing the poem by heart demanded I “step up my game” for my own performance at school.

Looking at the printing of her name in the cement from decades ago, it is likely she could write that well no matter what tool Dad had given her. I was surprised it was in all capital letters since I stressed that she learn to form and distinguish between lowercase and uppercase letters and the appropriate time to use them. Daily in our play school, I administered tests over letters and numbers even when she was very young. As Dad would say, I never recall Angie “backing up” from the challenge.

                I mused why were two little girls almost 3 and 8 years old so purposeful.  Then I remembered a few weeks earlier spotting an inscription in the concrete on the south side of that same building. It read, “Ed G. May 1, 1965.” 

It was Dad’s custom to inscribe a date in the wet concrete poured on the farm. Dad would have been 45 years old, and Angie would have been age 3 at the time of the pouring of the concrete. At that era in our family's life, Dad worked tirelessly on the farm after building houses with his brother, Herbert Gates in Ponca City. Many times, Dad hauled in a load of rocks from “busted-up” curbs following upgrades in new housing divisions. He unloaded each discarded rock by hand to bolster areas of his pond dam. This illustrated only one of numerous demanding tasks that he, Grandpa and Grandma Smith did to create the home where we grew up.

                That was it! That explained how we both had a “work ethic” even in our childhood. Dad and Mother had modeled persevering, diligent work throughout our lives. They set the pattern for us.

                Finally, probably the pinnacle of our persistent tenacity occurred when we helped Mother care for Dad at home as he worked to regain strength following his first stroke. One day, one of our favorite nurses during one of Dad’s doctor appointments wanted Dad to stand up from his wheelchair. Angie and I immediately went into action. The nurse looked at Dad and said, “I’m just getting out of the way. These girls have this down to a science!”

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.  Ephesians 6:4

           I am glad we are still working together.

Happy Birthday, Angie!

Note: Another blog posting about Angie and her desire to read can be accessed at:  https://bernadeanjgates.blogspot.com/2017/01/a-lofty-goal-for-little-girl.html

3 comments :