Sunday, January 31, 2021

What Did You Say Was in the Meat Case?

Diary Entry - January 2, 1960- We went to Muskogee to see about vet loan. I found it in the little vintage diary given to Mother, Bernyce Smith Gates, for Christmas 1936 from the Belford Grade School teachers, Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Tautfast.

My maternal grandparents, Calvin Callcayah Smith and Gladys Rainey Smith, my parents, and I lived together. In 1959, my parents purchased the farm where Mother now lives. Since my grandpa served in WWI and my father fought in WWII, the veterans administration seemed a good source for a loan to build a new home, which became the pink house where Mother lives. (Mother added they did not get a VA loan.)

I was only 3 and 1/2 years old. Mother characterized me as “active.” We almost always ate in the car or in a park if we were away from home. I think my liveliness contributed to that decision. It was fine with me because I loved the park and all the play equipment.

Since it was winter, the park was not an option. But we could purchase items we seldom bought – lunch meat, maybe some potato chips, store-bought buttermilk and Hostess chocolate cupcakes. My family found a small grocery store near the veterans administration building with these delicacies along with a loaf of bread.

Excited to be doing something out of the ordinary, I was bebopping around the store staying close to Mother. We approached the meat case. I screeched to a stop. I experienced the memory from that day that lingers most vividly in my mind.

On center stage in the meat case was a dead opossum for sale. It was obvious enough that a little 3½ year old country girl knew exactly what it was.

It took the edge off my excitement about the “in-the-car picnic.” I didn’t share the same culinary palate as Granny on the iconic The Beverly Hillbillies. I am not a huge fan of the vintage show, but I know Granny’s “go-to” main dish seemed to be “Possum Stew.”

 I remembered a pictorial family book entitled Julia’s Family (Julia Steely Smith was Mother’s paternal grandma) mailed to me from Elizabeth Purcell Hammer, one of Mother’s cousin on the Smith side. She bequeathed it to me because of our shared interest in family history. This Steely family picture below appeared on the title page. The seated older man is Elijah Green Steely, Sr., Grandpa’s maternal grandfather. Ironically, the Steely family moved from the Ozark Mountains in Missouri into the Cherokee Nation in the early 1870s just as the fictional Clampett family featured in The Beverly Hillbillies also hailed from Ozark Mountains. Maybe my DNA might carry a hankerin’ for the marsupial.

Identified as "Julia's Family" - her parents, her brothers, and their families
Source - Karen Steely @ 1-888-338-4372
karen@the pastmatters.com
www.thepastmatters.com

Many times, scripture comes to mind as I write. The account of Peter’s vision of all types of animals, whether four-footed or winged, from Acts 10 appeared in my mind. Peter's vision had been sent by God to alter Peter’s learned attitude about the eating protocol his Jewish family faithfully obeyed. Yet God's purpose was far greater in its reach to correct Peter's mindset on the status of the ethnicity of people and their acceptability to God—thus preparing him to be a catalyst in spreading the Gospel to all people. Here is some of Peter’s sermon after his experience:

In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him…Jesus Christ – He is Lord of all - …To Him all the prophets witness that through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins. Acts 10:34-36; 43

No comments :

Post a Comment