Sunday, February 28, 2021

Memory of "Kicking Out Winter"

                 One morning the final week of subfreezing weather of February 2021, I awoke with a memory of one of the teachers whom I taught in Kandalaksha, Russia, during a short character teaching convocation in 1995. Kandalaksha is located north of the Arctic Circle. The Polar day is a 24-hour day when the sun never sets. The polar days are experienced from mid-May until mid-July. Fortunately, I was there during their Polar days. Yet most mornings in late May found me wearing a coat as we walked to the school where our conference was held.

                This time of year, Kandalaksha is snow-covered, with temperatures below freezing for the whole month of February. The residents have emerged from the polar nights, 24-hour periods when the sun seems to never rise. The polar nights last about six weeks from early December until mid-January.

                In 1995, I met Marina, a “first former” or first grade teacher, in the group of elementary teachers I led. She insisted I visit her school. The last day of the convocation was festive in nature. Kandalaksha students performed. Marina arrived with her younger son, Pavel.

Photo of the final day with Marina, 
Tanya, and me standing. Seated are
Nadya and Marina's son, Pavel

This is Marina on the right of the stage with her
colleagues portraying Baba Yaga, Kikimora,and
Leshyi, all Slavic spirits while "kicking out 
winter" (This year Maslenitsa will be observed
March 8-14.)

                 Marina, the first grade teacher from Russia, came to mind in our unusually cold weather. My mind rolled back to a photo Marina insisted I take with me. It had been taken many years earlier. The photograph she  gave was taken during a Russian week-long festival much akin to Mardi Gras. Our interpreter, Olya described it as "kicking out winter." (How ready I was to see winter go myself last week!) They call it Maslenitsa. It has its origins in pagan rituals. Many of the activities from eating all sorts of blini, a Russian pancake, to skating, skiing, culminate in burning an enormous straw figure symbolic of bidding goodbye to winter and welcoming spring. Interestingly, one of the first activities of the week-long festival has individuals burning a straw doll in an attempt to forgive the wrongs committed against them. 

                Our group had been invited by the minister of education to the city of Kandalaksha to teach character training to the Russian teachers using the Bible. One of my journal entries mentioned the mayor of the city encouraged the participants to work hard during the difficult era in Russia - it had only been four years since the Soviet Union dissolved. He concluded with “but we know God has His part.”

                In 2007, I received an envelope letter with everything in Russian except my name and address. The letter inside was in Russian, too. The Ponca City Library connected me with Marina Mayer, a well-educated, delightful engineer who immigrated with her husband and son from Uzbekistan to Ponca City. She translated the letter from Marina Vahrusheva, the first grade teacher from Kandalaksha. The highlight of her letter revealed two years after we met she “professed Jesus Christ as my Lord.” Then the following year, the husband, Misha,"followed the same way and we don’t desire another life anymore."             

                Isn’t it interesting that the initial activity of Maslenitsa (kicking out winter) involved festival goers burning the small straw doll to try to forgive? Yet Marina and Misha found Jesus forgave them and gave their life meaning and purpose. For over 20 years, Marina and Misha have worked in their church with children and young people.

Some of the youth Marina and Misha work with in their church in Kandalaksha.
This was taken a few years ago. Marina is standing on the far right.

After awakening with her photo on my mind, I contacted her via email about a week ago. She quickly replied. Marina began her email with her concern about “events in the United States.” Then she closed with these words: Today in a meeting in the church I told about you and your mission in Kandalaksha. Now our entire church is praying for you and your country. Hold on, the Lord is merciful!

                I treasure the prayers from that Russian church north of the Arctic Circle. Marina, just like the other teachers I taught, grew up in a country, as one of them said, “without God for 70 years.” Could we find better Christians to pray for us?

                In May of 1995, I prayed fervently as I taught those five days, but never did I imagine the impact less than a week would have in spreading the gospel. Paul's words to the Thessalonians who were saved during his ministry in their area ring true and strong as I think about Marina and her influence for Christ. I pray to be spurred to continue to asked God for open doors of opportunity to share the gospel right here in our own country.

For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? For you are our glory and joy. I Thessalonians 2:19-20

1 comment :

  1. Это уже история! Но мне очень приятно видеть себя и Мишу и Павлика в твоём блоге. И это очень интересно!

    ReplyDelete