Sunday, March 28, 2021

Making the Wire Cutter Usable

            I use malleable wire so much. Many years ago, Tom Rhoads, the Fairfax mechanic Dad used frequently, told me once he could tell a carpenter had tried to work on my car. He said, “They use baling wire and duct tape.”

The first few times I used the new roll of wire, I snipped the wire with some wire cutters stored in the fence repair equipment used by my brother-in-law. I mused; I need a small pair of wire cutters for the pickup cab toolbox (Dad’s old lunch box converted to a small toolbox).

I suddenly remembered a pair of wire cutters in horrible shape. I retrieved them from Dad’s large toolbox that “had taken on” water several months ago. I pulled them out of the watery depths of the old toolbox, thinking they would never be used again. They were rusted beyond movement. In fact, discarding them was my next step.

Maybe they could be reclaimed. My first step was getting recycled vinegar first used by Mother to clean her coffee maker. Then for several days, they soaked. Periodically, I fished them out of the vinegar. No change. After about five days, I thought It’s now or never. If they can’t be reclaimed, the rusty wire cutters must hit the bottom of the trash bag. 

The old pan with the vintage wire cutters soaking
just before I pulled them out. I regretted not
 snapping a photo prior to their immersion in the
 vinegar.

To my surprise, the handles moved some. I cleaned with some old rags. A brush seemed to be needed. I mentioned to Mother about her wire brush. Her reply, “Well, it is very rough.”

I responded, “Mother, that is what I must have if I get this rust off!” With that comment, my intense rubbing began on the rusty wire cutters. Soon they began to appear serviceable.

The cleaned wire cutters.

As I looked at the dark rust-colored vinegar liquid in the soaking pan, I thought of the Biblical word, “sanctification.” The renowned Bible teacher, Dr. David Jeremiah defined sanctification as “the process of growing in holiness – living every day in light of who we are in Christ.”

The process of sanctification begins with a person being born again. Receiving Christ as Savior and Lord, initiates sanctification (being set apart). Paul characterized our original state, in Ephesians 2, as children of wrath (verse 3), but verses 4-5 illuminate a gracious God who is unfathomable in His effort to reclaim us:

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved).

Paul then, in Ephesians 4, has verse after verse that highlights the ongoing process of sanctification. In verses 17-20, …you should no longer walk…having your understanding darkened…giving over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. But you have not so learned Christ.

Paul illustrates clearly how sanctification looks in verses 21-32. Here are some "rubber-meets-the road" examples. Put away lying…speak truth. Be angry and do not sin. Do not give place to the devil. Steal no more…labor so you can give. No corrupt words from your mouth but… words … to impart grace to the hearers. Bitterness, wrath, evil speaking, malice … must be put away. Do not grieve the Holy Spirit. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

Now back to the little pair of unusable and rusty wire cutters only ready for discarding; Just as the vinegar cleaned the wire cutters, so yielding to the Holy Spirit converts our lives from corrupt thoughts, words, and behavior to impacting those we encounter with our kindness, mercy, and forgiveness. Most remarkable, our life-change emanates from a heart changed by His indwelling Spirit enabling us to daily walk with Him in obedience. Just as the vintage wire cutters are now back in service, may we walk daily with Him to continue in the service of our heavenly Father, daily encouraging others to submit to Him and experience usefulness in their lives.

Therefore, be imitators of God as dear children. (Ephesians 5:1)

This wire brush helped remove some of the last 
stubborn spots of rust. I included this photo 
because sanctification sometimes brings "rough"
things into our lives., but the removal of  spiritual
rust and corrosion always increases our productivity
in His service.


No comments :

Post a Comment