Sunday, November 7, 2021

Baldwin's Iron Weed and Buckeye Butterflies

             In early October, I spotted several Baldwin’s iron weeds blooming profusely. The stunningly, gorgeous purple explosions of color topped the vibrant green plants. During my return walk from checking cattle, I paused momentarily to snap a photo or two. My closer look revealed the weeds’ flowers teeming with buckeye butterflies.

At least four butterflies are shown feeding on the iron weeds in the pasture.

As I walked to the house from the pasture, I thought I think I took about seven shots. Those buckeye butterflies were so intent on feeding on the nectar of the iron weed plants.

My mind reflected on the previous Sunday in our Sunday School class. Even though the class is called the Women’s Class, most know it is for vintage women to study God’s Word (I refuse to dub it the “old women’s class.”). That morning, we had six women ranging from quite young - 20ish to vivaciously vintage. Each woman had her Bible opened, participating with reading, and commenting on the scripture’s direct relevance to her. We were as intent as those moths in our intake of God’s Word.

We study the Bible like this each week. I stopped and thought We’re in good company! These two verses popped into my mind. The first verse concerned Jesus and his practices and the second one described the Apostle Paul. In Luke 4:16, it is recorded, “So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was. He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day and stood up to read.” Luke, also the writer of The Acts of the Apostles, recorded in Acts 17:2-3 historical documentation of Paul’s habits with these words, “Then Paul entered the synagogue as his custom was, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and pointing out [scriptural evidence] that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and rise from the dead and saying, ‘This Jesus, whom I am proclaiming to you, is the Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed).’”

                The Son of God, perfect in every way, God-incarnate found regular study of the scripture with others an essential part of His week. Luke, inspired by the Holy Spirit, gave us a glimpse into the weekly worship of Paul as he reasoned and explained the scriptures to Jewish citizens of Thessalonica.

                A good Bible study group reasons, explains, and most of all, points out [scriptural evidence]. A godly group of students of the Biblical text searches and compares scripture with scripture when studying the Bible. This strategy of study is illustrated innumerable times in God’s Word  Frequently, we see in scripture Have you not heard? or Have you not read? which are examples of using scripture to interpret scripture. May we never fall back on our opinions or experiences if they fly in the face of God's Holy Word.

                 Jeremiah said in the book bearing his name, chapter 15, verse 16:

Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your Word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of Host.

 Like Jeremiah and the buckeye butterflies, may we feed on what nourishes us most.

The beautiful wing pattern of the buckeye butterfly.

No comments :

Post a Comment