Sunday, March 20, 2022

Lost - My #1 Record-Keeping Tool

                        Recently, as we prepared to sell cattle, late on Friday, I decided to snap one last photo of the cow we were culling. Since Dad’s stroke, I have used my small camera given to me by my brother-in-law to record photos for Mother to see what is occurring out in the pastures with her cattle herd.

                Just as the sun began sinking under the west horizon, I returned to the house. I still had several needful tasks to complete that Friday evening. I reached in both jeans pockets and pulled out two empty hands. The left one should have retrieved the small camera.

                After unsuccessful searches where I stored my gloves and where I fed the cats, I told Mother I would be back shortly. I zipped out with a small lighted lantern and inspected thoroughly the seat of the cab of the feed truck. No trace of the tiny camera in its protective case could be found.

                As I trudged back to the house, I recognized I had two choices: I could begin complaining, lamenting, and questioning why this had happened to me or I could begin praying for God to give me a peace even though I had no clue about the whereabouts of my #1 recording tool. I prayed fervently as I approached the house, “Father, keep me from letting a complaint come out of my mouth. Give me a peace amidst uncertainty about the camera. Give me faith to know You will bring good from this seemingly horrible situation." I think I even shook my head as if to dislodge the thought about the myriad of photos on my SD card in the camera. Then I whispered, “God, help me trust this to You.” Surprisingly, I did trust Him that night.

                The following early morning, my sister and brother-in-law came. With patience, teamwork, and a slow-paced maneuvering of a few errant bovines, we achieved getting the cattle sorted for selling. Soon the truck and trailer arrived for transporting them to the Pawnee Livestock Sale.

                As I moved the feed truck, I opened the truck door to exit. I could hardly believe my eyes. There in the compartment of the driver’s door was the missing camera!

                As I stuck the lost camera deep in my jacket pocket, I silently prayed, “Lord, You had to have caused that camera to slip into that compartment on the door as it dropped from my pocket. I would have never found it anywhere else. Thank you, Thank You, Thank You!”

In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul. Psalm 94:19

 The little camera case where I found it in the
   truck's left door compartment. The camera's
digital photos coupled with informative captions
have been invaluable record sources of our
small cow/calf operation.

No comments :

Post a Comment