Sunday, April 10, 2022

Substance Over Symbolism

        I heard recently that difficult seasons of our lives foster creativity. Situations such as reduced finances, limited resources, physical constraints, or perceived inadequacy have led to ingenuity. Mother frequently quoted in her parenting, Necessity is the mother of invention.

LaRene Akers, 2nd and 3rd 
Grade Teacher at Ralston
Public School
        I pinpointed activities in my early days that developed the right side of my brain or creative source. The recollection of teachers began with LaRene Akers who allowed second and third graders time to design construction paper creations. Often we depicted holiday symbols or historical items commemorating the observance of the month. What fun when scissors snipped, and glue flowed freely constructing a masterpiece that we gazed on with satisfaction!

Floris Brandenburg, close school 
chum at the Woodland School in 
the Bend in the 1920s of my aunt, 
Ella Gates Bledsoe. She taught
me in 4th-6th grader at Ralston
Public School.
        So many of Ralston upper elementary students for decades had Floris Brandenburg, affectionately called Mrs. B, who had us tackle using hacksaws to “whittle out” cutting boards in the shape of pigs. (I took a hacksaw from home for this project  - carrying it in my hand on the bus since I never owned a backpack as a kid!) Many fellow students honed with great success oil painting, sketching, and other creative expression. I loved forming the platonic solid at Christmas from circles cut from construction paper and folded into triangles. Then the triangles were glued together and sprinkled with sparkly glitter for a festive effect when the finished product dangled from the ceiling of the classroom.

        Laura Collard taught reading, spelling, language, and art during my sixth through eighth grade years. For many years, one of my art projects created during the spring of 1969 appeared in our home Easter decorations. Using a balloon, as a base, I fashioned a sturdy paper mache egg, carefully cut the top from it, reinforced the edge of the lid and its base’s edge. too. Using gold spray paint, I replicated the proverbial golden egg. In keeping with the flower power of the 1960s, I meticulously cut flowers from felt in pink, blue, hot pink and red. After gluing the black centers on the flowers, I plastered them over the golden egg. Finally,  I scavenged through Grandma’s scraps and found jumbo rickrack to adorn the edge of the lid of the golden egg.

Laura Collard taught me in 6th-
8th Grades at Ralston Public 
School.

        I was so pleased with the golden egg. It was such a perfect symbol of Easter for a 7th grader. My sister and I anticipated coloring eggs for weeks in advance. We looked forward to Dad hiding them in the yard for us and pulled from the top shelf of the closet the same two baskets we used year after year.

        Yet Angie and I clearly had been taught the glorious Sunday in spring for egg-hunting was most importantly the observation of the resurrection of Jesus. Neither of us can remember not knowing of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. We were taught of all humans’ sinfulness and that Jesus alone could take sin away and give purpose and a new life.

The Golden Paper Mache 
Egg on Easter 1969 in my
custom-made Easter "frock"
with the matching hair bow.
Both were designed and 
made lovingly by Grandma,
Gladys Rainey Smith.
        As we approach Easter, even though we enjoy the symbols of Easter, such as egg hunts, golden prize eggs, baskets of goodies, large family dinners, new outfits to wear, and various other things, may we always dwell in our thoughts, discussion, and devotion on the substantive truth of Easter, the resurrection of Jesus.


No comments :

Post a Comment