Sunday, July 3, 2022

Lost and Found in the Bend (Once a Bender Always a Bender)

Last month, our pastor, Mike Brock in his Father's Day message told us to honor godly fathers who are involved with their families. The two fathers behind these two cat-crazy girls in this blog post, Scott Doshier and Edmund Gates, Jr., can be categorized as men who love (loved) being "girl dads." Devoted, loving fathers of principle and character are the backbone of the Bend and our nation. Let's honor all year long fathers, grandpas, and great-granddads who remain committed to building strong families.

Following the much-appreciated rain,  I checked my brother-in-law’s automatic pumping setup installed to avoid flooding in the farm's water well pit and was startled to hear a loud meow. The sound came from Big Bend Road. I glimpsed a tabby face on the opposite side of the road.

I thought Someone must have dropped off another cat. Leaving the water well pit, I heard the grasses rustling. Suddenly, a tiny kitten emerged from the grass towering over its head.

I walked to the house with the wee one bouncing beside me. As I reminded it to avoid my work boots, I wondered where this little one belonged.

             My sister called from Jenks. Since Angie was such a cat lover, I related the recent happening. She offered to contact Kelsie, our nearest neighbor to the west. One of her last comments was, “I may call Shelly.” Angie knew Landee, Shelly’s younger daughter, shared the “Never Met a Cat I Didn’t Like” syndrome with her.
Landee and some of her kittens.

I swished out to finish chores only to hear the same meowing so loud, I knew the tiny feline must have somehow gotten on the enclosed porch, but the anxiety-filled kitten was still outside, pressing its face against the screen, trying to find someone to give comfort. As I retrieved the mail from the mailbox, the kitten ran beside me, never uttering even one meow.

Walking back to the house, I prayed silently, God, please help me know what to do about this kitten. The kitten’s need for its mother tugged at my heart because it found comfort being with me. It lapped the liquid left in our cat feeders. The fur on its little back was damp. What a rainy day to be displaced!

In the house, I flipped through the mail; then turned around to see a feed truck stopping in front of the house. I rushed to the front door as I saw our neighbor, Shelly. On my way to the door, I thought, Angie said she might call Shelly.

By the time I got to Shelly, she was laughing and commenting about hearing the loud meowing. About that time, the little furry feline bounced around the southwest corner of the house. It ran straight to Shelly. It was happy to be in her arms and in her presence.

Angie at age 5 with her two half-grown kittens
born to Snow White, a cat given to her by Wanda
Nix.
         As Shelly and her husband, Scott, pulled away with the runaway kitten reclaimed, Mother was on the phone with Angie. What a blessing to have a sister who was willing to contact our neighbors to make sure the lost kitten got back home! Once a Bender, always a Bender.

The Words of Jesus came to mind from Matthew 18:11, “…the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost.” Are we obeying His command to reach out to the lost? We are surrounded by those who are crying out to be seen, heard, comforted, and reclaimed from awful situations. Do we take the initiative to connect them to Jesus, the only One who can restore lost souls to all God created them to be? He is so much like Shelly and Scott ready to find and rescue; just as His parable of the lost sheep told in Luke 15:5, “…and when He has found it, He lays it on His shoulders, rejoicing.”

No comments :

Post a Comment