Sunday, June 25, 2023

Celebrating the 95th Birthday of the Bend's Oldest Man

Dad would refer to his dear friend, Hubert Hutchens, as a "transplant" in the Big Bend. This upcoming week marks a birthday for the oldest man now living in the Bend. Happy birthday, Hubert!
I photographed Hube at his
Quilt of Valor presentation
for his military service.

        Hubert Hutchens will celebrate his 95th birthday this week on June 26. I got to know Hube, as Dad liked to refer to him, when I helped Dad and him work cattle. The humor exchanged between Hube and Dad as I drove the calves into the chute lightened the task. Funny stories were retold as vaccinations were given. 

        Later, Hubert and Dad regularly took in the Woodland Cougars games. They even attended several Oklahoma State football games. I often wondered how they handled games against Hube’s high school alma mater, Hominy.

       Dad delighted in Hube stopping and joining him under the tree as they sat in Dad’s swing. Often Hube’s classic line was, “I’m so full of gossip I can’t hardly bend over.” Truthfully, they just exchanged family and community happenings and events. I never heard them speak unkind or malicious tales about anyone.

       Hube’s friendship with our family continued after Dad’s stroke. He regularly stopped to visit Dad and bring apples from his tree or vegetables from his garden. After Dad rehabilitated from his first stroke, Hube would drive over in his golf cart to take Dad for a spin. 

       When he discovered Mark Anthony was the first occupational therapist assigned to Dad, Hube informed us of his family’s friendship with the Anthony family when both families were neighbors in Colorado. Charlotte and Mark’s mother almost “had their husbands’ heads” when Mark was born. The women had informed their husbands that the birth of Mrs. Anthony’s baby was imminent, but the men proceeded to go up into the mountains to hunt for wild horses. Hubert was reluctant, but Mark’s dad assured him they’d get back in time. When the men returned, since Baby Mark had already arrived, they had to do some sweet talking!

      One could easily be mesmerized by Hubert’s tales of days when he worked on the North Slope in Alaska. Frigid temperatures, so brutally cold, rigidly limited the number of minutes to which Hubert and his coworkers could be exposed. (When I had to thaw a stock tank hydrant in subzero temperatures in February of 2021, I told myself, Hubert worked out on the North Slope in colder temps than this.) Harrowing flights shuttled Hube to the work sites in a chopper piloted by a Vietnam veteran. Each takeoff and landing required prayers for survival.

       His wife, Charlotte, a writer herself, and I have discussed the difficulty of transferring Hubert’s stories of adventure to print. The compelling element in his stories is hearing Hubert tell the stories.

A photo taken one of the days Hube stopped by
for a visit with Dad following his stroke.

       During Dad’s stroke convalescence, Hubert faithfully picked up our trash each Monday morning. Hauling off trash may have seemed an insignificant effort for a family engrossed in the care of a paralyzed loved one; but for us, it represented such a genuine act of love for Dad and our family.

    Just days before Dad’s death, Hubert and Charlotte dropped by. Mother and I joined both of them around Dad’s bed as we said the Lord’s Prayer. What peace to hear the words from our lips – Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven, and what strengthening of our souls as we closed in perfect unison of voice and spirit, For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen!

          

One of my Journal Entries that Reflects the Type of Neighbor that Hubert Has Been
Based on Bernadean’s Journal Entry on January 29, 2013

Today began as a glorious day because we awoke to lightning and thunder and by noon had a couple of inches of rain.  As the day grew colder and more dismal, I started growing anxious as to what I should do for the cattle. 

Angie and I had put out a large bale on Sunday, but it was almost gone. I was becoming weary of trying to decide when to conserve hay, based on the amount we had, as well as when to follow the advice of an OSU professor to allow the cattle to go without for one day, or limit their access to the hay. The cattle were wet and miserable-looking.

The bull was standing just outside the area that Ben had secured for hay storage, looking longingly at the hay as if to say, “I am hungry.  Why aren’t you feeding us?”

Suddenly I observed as we ate lunch that the cows were slowly moving. Then to my surprise the bull quickly left where he had been standing for such a long time. I wanted to hop up and see why, but that might have distracted Dad from eating and caused him to begin worrying. I silently prayed for inner peace and calm to replace my anxiety and weariness.

          After Dad finished eating, I assisted him in getting back to his chair in the living room. As I was waiting for him to get settled in his chair I glanced out the window. I couldn’t believe my eyes.  The cattle were clustered around an enormous bale.  To myself I said, “You are dreaming!”

I blinked and looked again and excitedly said to Mother, “I think there is a big bale up there!” as I zipped outside with binoculars to confirm what I was sure was a figment of my imagination. But to my astonishment, it truly was a huge bale filling what had been a large empty bale ring. It was as though the hand of God had gently placed this large provision to energize and encourage me. I prayed to remember this act whenever I am tempted to doubt that God is in control and cares about us.

I sent Angie, my sister, this photo with the caption
An angel must have brought this bale.

Note- I had to go back and correct my journal entry since at the time I wrote it I didn’t know who had so wonderfully provided the bale for us. Hubert, thank you so much! As I told Charlotte, it was one of the most encouraging acts after Dad’s stroke.


Memories of Hubert from the Summer of 2017
Hubert hauled in the bales of our first cutting off Mother’s meadow earlier this month. I was alarmed when he told me of losing his wallet during one of the trips when stacking bales. We thanked the Lord together when he told me of finding it. For Hubert, age is about attitude. He retains an attitude of gratitude for all God has given him. 

 

Just this week, before we hopped on his golf cart to view his two garden plots, I told him of a little boy, in Vacation Bible School, making the comment with such a sincere, little heart, “I like Jesus.” Hubert replied with his trademark twinkle in his eye, “That’s what it’s all about!”

Happy 95th Birthday, Hubert!

No comments :

Post a Comment