Sunday, August 20, 2023

The Lost Is Found

                This seems like the summer of lost things. Our oldest heifer of the 2023 calf crop after being a worrisome no-show appeared within several days. I finally gave up looking for my miniature lipstick bag that was normally in my purse. Our very tame cat who always sleeps on the enclosed porch failed to appear one night, but I was relieved when he showed up the next morning. Thankfully, I was successful in locating my quarter change purse used specifically for washing my car in town.

                The most troublesome loss occurred this past Sunday. That morning I zipped in Mother’s pickup to the cattle lot to feed a cow and her calf in hopes of helping Greg, our helpful neighbor, treat the calf on Monday. The calf was almost trained to come into the lot. Hurriedly, I grabbed breakfast and prepared for church. I was grateful Angie was at the farm so Mother could get up at her own pace.

                All went well until that evening just a bit before sundown when I reached to the spot where vehicle keys are kept. The worst scenario began to develop. The keys for Mother’s F-350 pickup were not hung in their rightful place. I checked jean pockets, looked in the seat and floorboard of the pickup, and scoured the grass near the driver’s truck door. Upon her purchase of the truck, I carefully placed the service key on a well-marked key ring. On Sunday, I grabbed it from its place on the vintage key holder and continued with my chores albeit with a troubled heart; yet I found a way to rejoice when the heifer came in the lot for the first time.

                That evening, I hurriedly printed Find F-350 Truck Keys in my prayer journal. As I drifted off to sleep, I thought this prayer, Lord, You know right where the keys are. Please help me to learn what I am supposed to from this. Please help me to work Your plan tomorrow.

                The next morning, I awakened with the thought, You need to weed-eat thoroughly around the pickup. After Greg had treated the calf, I prepared breakfast for Mother and me. After a few more tasks, I told her I needed to do more weed-eating.

                I began using the trimmer and thinking about the words of Jesus that described His mission. In Luke 19:10, following His encounter with Zacchaeus, Jesus stated, …The Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost. As I slowly, methodically, and intently moved the trimmer back and forth, I pondered my intensity in looking for the keys. Yet Jesus said His purpose was to seek the lost. I compared my laser-focus on finding the keys to my persistence to join Jesus in seeking lost people--people who do not know Jesus, the Savior of the world. Jesus even used the phrase about the lost (prodigal) son in Luke 15:32, when the loving father rejoiced by saying, …my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.

The Found Keys and Key Fob

                With those thoughts at the forefront of my mind, the sudden sound of the trimmer string hitting something other than grass blades startled me. Releasing my grip from the trimmer’s power control and leaning down, I could see something slightly buried. It was the keys and the key fob! Even though damaged a bit and detached from the key ring, the key fob still worked. I lifted my hand toward heaven and thanked the Lord for leading me to that area with the string trimmer.

                As overjoyed as I was about the lost key being found, I couldn’t shake the comparison with the lost key and spiritually lost people. My thoughts caused me to turn to Luke 15 where the Gospel writer, Luke, recorded the trio of parables centering on the theme of lost and found. The first story teaching a greater truth featured a shepherd of 100 sheep with one lost. The shepherd searched fervently and found the wayward one and proclaimed in Luke 15:6, …Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!

                The second parable presented a woman who had lost one of ten silver coins (I understand in the ancient Jewish culture this would mirror a woman losing a diamond from her wedding ring.). After a frantic search of her home, she found the missing silver coin and called friends and neighbors announcing joyously, …Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost! (Luke 15:9).

                Earlier, I mentioned the final parable of the trio – the prodigal or lost son and the overwhelming joy of the loving father who continually scanned the horizon for his lost son. Luke used the phrase that proves this, “But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him…” (Luke 15:20). Jesus used this to illustrate how God seeks for humans to show the inclination of returning (repenting) to Him and He responds by “running” to them.

                If we have experienced the salvation of Jesus, may we serve as His agents of reconciliation and “seek” for those away from Him – dead in their sins. May lost things never surpass our concern for people who have not entered into a saving relationship with God through Jesus. Matthew (a disciple) and Zacchaeus both were hated tax collectors, yet were called by Jesus. In Matthew 18:11, Jesus says, "For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost." It is no accident that it is almost word for word what Luke recorded in Luke 19:10 when Jesus met Zacchaeus. Let’s make sure we get the message of Jesus in that brief but powerful statement spoken twice.

No comments :

Post a Comment