Sunday, March 17, 2024

Celebrating St. Patrick's Day with Julia Irene Gates Newland

        My dad’s only living sibling announced to her son, Patrick, her desire for her 90th St. Patrick’s Day. She wanted a hat to celebrate. Patrick, her son, chose the best hat in the store. Her photograph with Patrick reveals her delight at his choice for her.

I am indebted to my sister for this great photo from 
Pat's Facebook post.

Rory photographed at my
 parents' 60th anniversary
by Cathy Gates LeForce.
        I loved the photo of Aunt Julia and the brightness of her eyes. I never see her eyes whether in person or in family photos without remembering a Gates-Rainey family story that happened in Texas but began in the Bend. I posted this special account eight years ago.

Only Julia would be the one of my father's siblings to connect with a Rainey while living deep in the heart of Texas. Julia's boys were playing in the neighborhood in Garland soon after moving there. Rory, her second from the youngest, appeared at Marilyn Rainey Firestone Brager's door with her son, Craig. Marilyn said to Rory, "I knew someone with eyes just like yours, but they were from Oklahoma." Rory, never at a loss for words, immediately responded, "My grandma lives in Oklahoma." Soon Marilyn and Julia were renewing their friendship that had begun decades earlier in the Big Bend. Marilyn, my mother's cousin, had lived for some time with my mother's family. Dad's response was "It's a small world" when Grandma Gates called and told him of the connection that Rory made.     
Craig Firestone in his youth
from my mother's photo
collection


Marilyn Rainey in early
college days - from my
maternal grandma's picture
collection.

Julia with Rory, Mike, Dan, and Pat at 1999 Gates Reunion

       Aunt Julia was the 10th child born to my grandparents, Edmund, Sr. and Mamie Irene Tripp Gates in 1933. My grandma gave Aunt Julia her own middle name “Irene” for Julia’s middle name, too. Incidentally, she named each of her sons with monikers that are linked to famed Irishmen – Michael, an Irish politician, Daniel, a notable Irish musician, Rory, a well-known golfer, and of course, Patrick bears the name of Ireland's patron saint.
           The celebration that Aunt Julia wanted to recognize is one of the most misunderstood observances. The confusion stems from not knowing who Patrick truly was. Patrick was born to Roman parents when Rome ruled Britain as a colony in the 5th century. He was kidnapped in his teens by Irish marauders and forced into slavery as a shepherd for around six years until he miraculously escaped but not before returning wholeheartedly to the faith he had been taught as a child. Upon returning to Britannia, Patrick felt a calling to return and share the gospel he had embraced while enslaved on the Emerald Isle. He is credited with leading Ireland to Christianity and away from paganism. Below are a couple my favorite quotes from Patrick which he wrote over 1500 years ago and yet it still makes me in awe of God’s wonderful work in the heart of a privileged young man while in bondage to fierce captors was change by the power of Christ.

The Lord opened the understanding of my unbelieving heart,
so that I should recall my sins. 

Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,

        Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.

No comments :

Post a Comment