Sunday, April 21, 2024

When Two Pennies Spoke Loudly

            On a recent warm spring morning I pulled out my short-sleeved t-shirts and rediscovered a tee Angie had given me last year. It reminded me of this blog post I had begun shortly after receiving the t-shirt mentioned in the blog post below. 

           One day last summer, I opened the mailbox to discover a plastic package on top of the mail. My name and address were handprinted. The return address label had such an attractive look.

Return Label on Package

            Upon arriving in the house, I carefully opened the plastic bag, wondering what this could be. I pulled out a t-shirt. Then I remembered my sister mentioning a Pawnee, Oklahoma-specific tee that she thought I would like. She was correct in agreeing that it would have significance to me.

As a child, I loved the movement of the mechanical horse at Ermy’s* in downtown Pawnee. Whenever we went into the unique store so my parents or grandparents could buy overalls, sewing patterns, fabric, boots, or lace, the store spelled F-U-N to a preschooler looking forward to a ride or two.

Front of the T-Shirt Bought By Angie for Me
            A ride on the mechanical horse located in Ermy’s cost only a penny. Usually, my dad or grandpa supervised my rides on the galloping steed. As a little one who craved activity, this charger afforded such fun for me.

One ride stood out as a learning opportunity for a little 2–3-year-old. Dad funded the trotting pony that day. He gave me a couple of pennies to hold in my little hand. I reveled in the shiny little pennies since they ensured more rides. He helped me insert the penny and soon I rode rhythmically on this thoroughbred with my imagination racing me outside the building. Suddenly, the pennies slipped from my hand. In consternation, I watched the pennies fall and roll over the antiquated floor. As my ride ended, I saw a child snatch the pennies I had dropped. To my horror, I overheard these words tumble from the child, “Look what I found!” A woman I guessed to be the little girl’s mother replied, “Did you?” The child nodded.

            Dad helped me off the mechanical horse. He got on my level and made sure with a quiet voice and calm demeanor that I understood what had happened. The child had grabbed something that did not belong to her. He said stealing was wrong and explained the little girl did the wrong thing. He continued to discuss that the little girl who stole my two pennies also didn’t tell the truth. It seemed that was the first day I heard the word lied. I got the message loud and clear because she had lied by telling she had just found those two pennies. I knew she saw those pennies fall from my hand.

            Do children listen to parents and learn important principles? They absolutely do, especially if it is tied to a personal experience or an observable happening. Dad had a knack for teaching life principles this way. Frequently, he quoted a Bible verse to provide a basis for the truth he was teaching.

            I haven’t worn the tee from Angie, my sister, yet but every time I wear it, I will recall how Dad used the mechanical horse fiasco to teach me the value of the penny many decades ago. Even more importantly, he instructed me in the integrity of honesty and truthfulness.

            Lord, give me eyes to see and take every opportunity You give to impart truth from Your Word. I know Your Word is everlasting just like each person I meet. Give me Your wisdom and boldness from Your Holy Spirit to invest in both of these – Your Word and people.

 *Cheatham’s stocked groceries, books, some toys, paper dolls, and 1,001 other items. The two stores were connected and under the same roof and owned by the same family.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment