Sunday, May 25, 2014

20 Years Ago on May 28th

A Platinum Couple
                On May 28, my sister and brother-in-law will celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary. Platinum is the modern gift associated with that milestone in marriage. Platinum is malleable or flexible as well as the strongest of the three precious metals. Ben and Angie have abundantly demonstrated flexibility and strength over the last twenty years, especially the last three since Dad's strokes. In my opinion, platinum denotes the type of couple they are.
                My parents could not still be on the farm they love, in the community they love, if Ben, my brother-in-law, had not been willing to clear fencerows, build fence, prune trees and shrubs, plus 101 other demanding tasks.
                Ben has provided much needed medical advice and medical attention for both my parents. During the last power outage, he chided me for not calling him in the wee hours of the morning for instructions on Dad’s care affected by the outage. I told him I was beginning to call at 6 a.m. but the power came on. His last words to me on this subject, “Call me not matter what time it is.” Platinum brother-in-law.
                Angie as soon as Dad had the stroke in March of 2012, made the decision to go to part-time with her job. She is at the farm four days a week. Angie never complains nor steps away from difficult situations whether it is helping Ben build fence or getting groceries and supplies each week for the farm or umpteen other down and dirty tasks to be done. Platinum sister.
                All this platinum couple does for my parents is motivated by love. Ben once said when as a teen-ager he helped Bob Rice work an astronomical number of hogs, he made the decision to not make his living on the farm. Yet out of love for his parents-in-law, he faithfully helps them. Even though Angie lived on the farm from her birth until her marriage, her adult motto has been, “I want to live within five minutes of anything I need.” Yet she makes a round trip from Jenks at least twice a week.  She has logged thousands of miles during winter, spring, summer, and fall. A platinum couple.
                God has greatly blessed my parents and me with Angie and Ben and their generous, helpful spirit.  May He bless this platinum couple with 20 more happy years of marriage!

Ben Bradley and Angie Gates were married on
May 28, 1994, at the Ralston Baptist Church.
    

No comments :

Post a Comment