Sunday, June 1, 2014

Flower Power in Life

I wrote this devotional in the spring of 2009. Obviously, we had received more rain in the Bend in 2009 than we have in 2014. But I will say I have thanked the Lord for every drop we received the last week of May this year!
Learning From the Flowers of the Field
So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil or spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Matthew 6:28-30
            Purple is a gorgeous, rich color reminiscent of royalty and opulence. Recently on a late spring morning as I gazed on my father’s hay meadow, I noticed a purplish haze over his field instantly recognizing the predominance of vetch flowering. Lingering longer than usual, I knew this beautiful sight would soon be gone as the vetch plants matured and became ready for baling into much needed cattle fodder for the winter.
           How often we modern believers worry over the minor issues such as clothes, shoes, or 101 other insignificant things! Yet those beautiful, tiny flowers of the vetch in the pasture grow effortlessly. Jesus said Solomon, the king during the golden age of Israel, in his monarchal regalia was no comparison to God’s awesome creation. Then I am struck by the need to internalize the fact He will provide for me.
          Aren’t we frequently using precious time worrying instead of trusting our God who has promised to care for us? Rather than focus on prayer and Bible study to deepen our relationship with our precious Father, we sit wringing our hands over family budgets for material items that we will never live long enough to use. Are we believers running feverishly as rodents on exercise wheels to finance excessive wants instead of showing a watching world that our heavenly Father will abundantly supply all needs?
         Why don’t we purpose this week to ask the Lord for grateful hearts to trust instead of worry? Then let’s be sure to give our mighty God glory for how beautifully He supplied our every need.
          Lord, when I am tempted to doubt and fret over my daily concerns for my own provisions during uncertain financial times and tight budgets, remind me of the pretty little purple vetch flowers and most of all, of Your unfailing care for me, Your child.
Vetch blooming in Dad's Meadow
as photographed in 2009.

No comments :

Post a Comment