Sunday, March 8, 2015

Surviving Dreary Weather

Disregarding a Gray Day
                I adjusted the window blinds in the living room where Dad’s bed is located. As I began feeding him breakfast, I found myself saying, “Well, Dad, today is supposed to be overcast, but at least there is no freezing precipitation.” What progress!
                Even though for 33 years, the classrooms where I taught had no windows, it never seemed to bother me - perhaps since the classrooms were well lit. However, when I retired and began helping my mother care for my father, as well as assuming the role of caring for their small herd of cattle, the impact of the weather daily affected me. Suddenly, I became aware of depression descending on days devoid of sunshine.
                Recently, I have discovered friends who also are impacted by the days without being able to see and feel the warmth of the sun’s glow. What a weighty foreboding the outdoor environment can bring upon many of us, leaving us with a heaviness, rendering us practically incapable of functioning! However, demands of family, work, and life require those with the “dreariness” disorder to continue to perform. Finding a way to accomplish our responsibilities necessitates help outside of ourselves.
                Paul advised in Colossians 3:16, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; in all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” (ASV) 
              I found myself humming or singing phrases from the old hymns like “Sunshine in My Soul” or “Heavenly Sunlight” or the praise song “Shine, Jesus, Shine” as I would be walking to check the water in the stock tank on those gloomy, gray days. Just hearing the tunes and singing uplifting words raised my spirits as I trudged along.
When I heard myself telling Dad of the positive aspects of a cloudy day, I realized at least for those early morning hours, I had learned a greater level of trust, which in turn, enabled me to honor God by focusing on Him instead of the outdoor atmosphere.
                Over the last couple of years, I fought the pull of the slough of despond on overcast days by reading, quoting, and meditating on scripture that dealt with the surety of God’s character and His desire to interact with us. Those gloomy days allowed me to choose to actively trust, moment by moment, regardless of how the weather conditions affected my feelings.
                One of the most valuable passages is Malachi 4:2. The prophet wrote by divine inspiration, “But for you who fear My name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in His wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture.”(NLT)*
               Malachi foretold of Jesus, the Sun of Righteousness, using a brilliant, powerful comparison. The metaphoric word picture of Jesus as the sun provides encouragement during these dull, cloudy days. I haven’t yet arrived at behaving like those invigorated little calves spoken of in the verse, but that vivid simile gives me a vibrant image to meditate on when those gloomy skies appear. How reassuring that the Lord illumines our lives even when the sun doesn’t. He uses those energetic little bovines as a visual reminder that we can rise freely above the murkiest of days with the same freedom of calves leaping joyfully. Who would have ever guessed those frisky calves would be used in my life as such learning tools?
I snapped this photo right before this little calf skipped off.

*Some readers may sense that they have sung similar words as Malachi 4:2.  Charles Wesley used these phrases below when he penned Hark! The Herald Angels Sing in the eighteenth century.
Hail the heav'nborn Prince of Peace!
Hail the Sun of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings,
Ris'n with healing in His wings.
                                                                                                 Public Domain

No comments :

Post a Comment