Sunday, January 24, 2016

Dad's Top 5

As I did my Bible reading on New Year's Day morning, I began reflecting on Dad. His death occurred almost three months ago. The five verses he most frequently quoted came to mind.

I Timothy 6:6 Godliness with contentment is great gain.
Dad placed a premium during his life on being happy or more appropriately -  being content. Paul told Timothy in this verse to recognize the value of godliness in one's life. I've recalled to Mother how consistent and committed Dad was in attendance at church services. He would "pound" nails all day, drive the “commute” home, care for the cattle, and be at Bible study every Wednesday night. Yet Dad realized that "godliness" entailed the unselfish act of putting others ahead of himself. His service to the Lord through his church and his positive interaction with people brought contentment to him.

Matthew 6:33 Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you.
Dad thought if his service to the Lord was in first place, everything else would fall in place. This involved his reaction to volatile situations. Countless times I heard him say, "Well, I'll walk pretty slow on that." Or "I'll think before I speak." Dad knew"righteousness" begins with trusting God's way to be the best. He "completed righteousness" by obeying God's way, as He revealed it in the Bible. Dad believed wholeheartedly in the long run it would be the best.

Psalm 37:25 I have been young, and now am old; yet I have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor His seed begging bread.
Countless times I heard this verse come from his lips. In families, farm families especially, finances can get tight. Dad truly believed God would not forsake him no matter how weakened in body he became. God graciously saw him through 96 years, never failing him once.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Dad often included this verse in his prayers. He believed the church should always, as he would say, "hold up the name of Jesus" since there is salvation in no other. As I studied the context of this verse, I saw that Peter and John had been arrested for preaching this very tenant of the Gospel. How timely this verse is, when so many around the world are arrested and martyred for their faith in Jesus. May we pray for boldness to always stand for this truth.

Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth, but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein; for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. 
One of my parents' early pastors, Ray T. Hart, encouraged his congregation to memorize this verse. Dad did. What a pattern for success! Keep God's word on your tongue, meditate on it in your mind, and then incorporate its truths and principles in your daily actions. Success at living life will follow. What more could anyone desire from life?
Dad and me after returning from church the first year of my life. 

No comments :

Post a Comment