Sunday, April 17, 2016

Words Echoing From the Past

When I retired, Sandye Goad asked if I could help her grandson, Brett Graham, with a project of collecting family accounts for a fair project. I was glad to assist Brett since I had enjoyed being his teacher in third grade. I liked this one I prepared for Brett since it was actually based on a card written by the great-grandmother of his grandpa, Dave Goad.
A Glimpse at Your Great-Great-Great Grandmother, Mary Ellen Shaw Goad
The front of Mrs. Goad's card reveals the source of her strength, the Lord.
Brett, sometimes we can get to know our ancestors through their written words, even though we weren't born until after their deaths. The words they write often reveal more about their inner thoughts and souls than we may think.
            Recently, my mother was going through old cards belonging to my grandmother, Gladys Rainey Smith. Mother happened onto a get well card sent in 1956, to my grandmother following her surgery. It had been mailed to her by Mary Ellen Shaw Goad, your great-great-great grandmother.
I have placed the front of the card along with its personal message written by your great-great-great grandmother. Carefully look at her handwriting. Study how she framed her sentences. See if you can hear her sensitivity and caring as you read her words.


I hope this will serve as a meaningful way to get just a slight glimpse into the type of person your great-great-great grandmother was. This may prompt you to ask older family members if they remember her. She died when I was too young to remember her, but as I read her words, it makes me wish I could have met her. I think you will feel the same way.



As I reread this little message written to Brett about the card sent by his great-great-great grandmother to my grandma, these other thoughts came to mind. I framed them in the form of questions.


Will what I have written reflect accurately to those who never knew me, who I really am?

Do texts, emails, and postings by me give a true picture of who I am as a person?

Am I pleased to review my social media or do I cringe at the digital footprint I am leaving behind?

Will my faith in Jesus be evident in what I have written or what I have posted online?

To view a photograph of Mrs.Goad, click on this link to a previous blog:
http://bernadeanjgates.blogspot.com/2015/05/when-big-bender-kept-man-from-blowing.html

No comments :

Post a Comment