Sunday, May 15, 2016

It Was My Fault

Inconsistency’s Deceptive Undermining 
       I exclaimed to Mother, "I don't know what is going on with Bob." I was referring to Bob, the orange and white Manx cat. Two evenings in a row, I had to carry him in for the night. That never happens.
       Angie, my sister, laughed when, over a year ago, I commented that Bob and Tailer would "go nocturnal on me" if I left those two out until dusk. She knew each evening they came in about the same time. Even though Tailer ran in front of a car and lost his life, I continued to keep Bob on a schedule. Maybe it’s the school teacher in me.
       Bob was accustomed to a routine because of his rough beginning. When he, Tailer, and their other two litter mates were less than two weeks old, their mother disappeared. Unable to find anyone to take them, we began bottle feeding them. We were also caring for Dad following his second stroke that occurred just days before their births. Dad was our primary concern. The kittens had to be on a regimented schedule and eat when it fit into Dad's day.
       So why did Bob suddenly appear to be untrained after over two years of excellent obedience? I realized my inconsistency had caused Bob's issues with coming in. Normally, I called his name and he darted onto the porch. But one day I had been gone most of the day and hadn't turned him out until late in the day. Within a couple of hours, dusk was approaching. He wasn't ready to come in. According to his internal clock and schedule, he still had roaming time outdoors. 
      The next day Mother and I were gone from the farm so Bob didn’t go out until about three in the afternoon. Within two hours, he was back in so I could go check the cattle. (He had to be inside when I started up the old pickup because he felt too comfortable to be wherever I was. I feared it would be under the wheels of the truck.) I began to feel guilty about him being inside staring out at me as I began to plant tomatoes after checking the cattle. I turned him out. Big mistake- Bob did not want to come in. He was having too much fun at dusk. I had wavered from his daily regimen. My change in his schedule altered his response.
      Angie refers to me as Bob’s momma. I am not his parent, but my unpredictability as his caretaker affected him.
      Just as inconsistency adversely affected Bob, so can it work negatively against parents when guiding their children. Erratic parenting can lead to unpredictable behavior in children. 

     In a relationship, fickleness causes doubts to emerge and even sometimes fear about what responses to expect. Whether in families or friendships, a lack of dependability creates difficulties in interactions in families and friendships.
      Children thrive on a schedule. It provides security in knowing what to expect next. Lack of it breeds uncertainty and anxiety in the child and can lead to impulsivity and restlessness.
      Friendships and family relationships can suffer from inconsistency. If a friend usually calls on special occasions, receiving no phone call feeds thoughts of concern for the welfare of the friend or even questions about the strength of the friendship.
      Some of the strongest attributes of God involve His consistency. God is omnipresent- David writes, "Where can I go from Your presence?" God being there - right in the moment - is a given constant. God's omniscience or all-knowing doesn't diminish on bad days or busy times. Nothing takes Him by surprise. Our knowledge of who He is won’t shield us from problems but we can be certain, if we are believers, that He has a plan. Paul writes in Romans how "all things work together of good to those called according to His purpose...to conform us to the image of His Son."
      As I learned with Bob's care, consistency remains important for a smooth running household. Even of greater significance is my commitment to a consistent, on-going relationship with the Lord. My life won't be free of problems, but I will be availing myself of the most strengthening source possible- the very God of the universe. Can anyone think of something I need more?
Bob, in the warmth of the morning sun, as he eyes a bird
and itches to get outside to it.

No comments :

Post a Comment