Sunday, June 19, 2016

My Father's Greatest Gift

The Greatest Gift My Father Left Our Family
                Since I have been old enough to select a birthday or Father’s Day gift, June marked the time on my calendar to get both gifts purchased or created. Sometimes Father’s Day coincided with my father’s birthday because he was born on June 15. Dad’s death in October of 2015 changed my usual June shopping list.
                As I mulled over those changes in my mind, I reflected ironically on the best gift Dad left for us. What he left is intangible and cannot be sold or divided among us. Dad left us a peace of mind about his destination beyond this world.
                Numerous times, I heard him recount his decision in 1945 – he always delineated the year – to ask Jesus to forgive his sins and commit his life to follow Jesus. Not only did give the detail of the year but also usually mentioned he was at “the little Pentecostal church back in the Bend.” Dad related how, many times when he came to pick up my mother for a date, my maternal grandmother, Gladys Rainey Smith, reminded him that God had graciously spared his life during the combat missions he had flown with his crew in Europe over occupied France and Germany. Frequently, he came back with the comment, “The good guys didn’t make it back.” Of course, Grandma never missed a beat in letting him know that no one is good enough to go to heaven without Jesus.
                My sister and I never knew Dad before his commitment to follow Jesus. He wasn’t perfect, but he lived a servant’s life. Nothing delighted him more than helping someone. More than once, I have mentioned how easy it would have been to take advantage of him since he loved to do things to help me.
                Giving God the credit for the good in his life became a natural response for him. Dad’s relationship with the Lord had an element of a comfortable friendship. He recognized the overwhelming power of God, but his prayers had conversational flow. Phrases like, “Lord, You control the weather” punctuated his prayers.
                Many times when one of Dad’s cows had a calf, he would come in and say, “The Lord blessed us with a fine bull (or heifer) calf. “ The recognition that every good and perfect gift comes from above permeated Dad’s life. “Thank you, Lord” frequently came from his lips when a solution to a problem emerged. Whether it was getting an old piece of machinery to run or harvesting produce from his garden, Dad gave God “Glory” or thanks  for helping him get through day-to-day tasks. Once again, it reflected his lifestyle.
                In no way do I want to discredit a deathbed conversion, like the repentant thief who hung on the cross next to Jesus. Jesus promised him eternal life and assured him he would see him in Paradise (Heaven). The thief had no time to do good deeds and of course, our actions, deemed to be good, will never make us right with God. The Bible says, He saved us because of His mercy. It was not because of good deeds we did to be right with Him.
                But for those of us still living, we can choose the course of “nailing down” for our loved ones the place and time we accepted His offer of forgiveness and in turn, gave our lives to Him. We can follow that decision with our words, actions, and expressions of thankfulness for His everyday goodness to us. James writes, Show me your faith without doing anything, and I will show you my faith by what I do. Our deeds do not earn faith, but they certainly illustrate faith's presence in our lives.
Then when our last breath is taken, those who love and care for us will have memorable and comforting proof of our commitment to the One who created us and gave His life for us. That will be the greatest gift that can be left for them.               
My father celebrating his birthday and Father's Day in 2007.
 The glasses that Dad was wearing were his work glasses. He
selected these frames following cataract surgery since they were 
the only frames that met the allotted $50 amount that Medicare
would cover. One of the funnier stories surrounding those "hideous"
glasses involved Dad and his dear neighbor, Hubert Hutchens. Hube 
was helping Dad with a cow that was having complications with
 the birth of her calf. Hube decided  they'd better call for help. They 
called Carl Goad.  Somehow in the midst of all the goings on, Dad's glasses 
got knocked off. He said the cow stepped on them. My sister's response 
was, "Well at least the cow had good fashion sense!" Carl later chuckled
as he said, "I think I stepped on them." Angie, my sister, said, " Whatever  - 
at least they are gone!" 
           
To all fathers in our family and our community who support their families with unwavering stability, guiding with time-honored principles, and leading with sacrificial love, Happy Father's Day!

1 comment :

  1. What a wonderful Father's Day post, this may be my favorite! I never had the pleasure of meeting your father in person but I do remember you sharing about him at school. Your family was so blessed to have him!

    ReplyDelete