Sunday, June 5, 2016

The Sermon in Stone in the Cemetery

Selecting a Tombstone for My Father
    Mother set a goal for herself, my sister, and me. She established Memorial Day of 2016 as the target date to have a tombstone erected at my father's grave. Memorial Day of 2016 would mark the first one since Dad's death in October of 2015.
    Fortunately, his name, his birth date, his death date, and their marriage date were non-negotiable. An epitaph, on the other hand, presented a decision that would be set in stone. What a dilemma for Mother!
    Angie presented some zingers when we began the search and subsequent discussion about optional epitaphs for Dad’s tombstone. The three that drew the most chuckles were:
I made some good deals and 
I made some bad ones
I really went in the hole with this one.

I’m just resting my eyes.

Please deactivate my Facebook.
   Mother related one that she had actually seen in a cemetery. Several times over the years, she has recited the thought-provoking epitaph. Here it is from her memory:
As you are now so once was I.
As I am now soon you will be.
Prepare for death and follow me.
    Other options in connection to a tombstone for Dad's burial place involved the color of stone, the size, and the shape. She quickly selected gray similar to our grandparents. Since it was near Mother’s parents, she decided to choose the same size and shape.
    As we discussed, I could tell Mother preferred a scripture verse for Dad’s tombstone. She began bouncing off me some of the ones she was considering. Since our trust in Jesus is essential to being prepared to die (as well as live), she quoted John 14:6 -
Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life. 
No man cometh to the Father but by me.
   This verse, along with several others, was mentioned. We had to reschedule the appointment at the monument company due to an unforeseen conflict. The rescheduling of the meeting with the engraver bought Mother more time for deliberation and consideration about the epitaph.
   Finally, the night arrived prior to our appointment for choosing a grave marker for my father’s burial place. Mother, being a night owl, stayed up after I bid her goodnight. Quickly, I drifted off to sleep.
   The next morning Mother related eagerly the events of the previous evening. After I had gone to sleep, she watched a Ravi Zacharias’ presentation on a university campus on his program entitled “Let My People Think.” He closed with the Biblical quote from I Corinthians 2:9 as an impetus for university students to consider a faith in Jesus as opposed to the growing belief in agnosticism or atheism.
Front of the tombstone that Mother chose.
   As soon as Mother heard the world-renowned apologist conclude his cerebral, yet logically sound, lecture with these words from Holy Scripture, she knew they must be etched on the tombstone.
Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man,
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.
The side of the tombstone with the much pondered-over scripture verse.
   When she conveyed the words she wanted on the tombstone, I began carefully copying it to present to the engraver. Mother viewed the tombstone as a silent witness to continue expressing our belief in Jesus, God Incarnate, who provides strength for each day, peace and security in death, and  life eternal for those who have placed their faith in Him.

1 comment :