Sunday, April 23, 2017

Bad Zipper, Snaps, and Strength

This manuscript was written in early 2015, right when we were in the throes of caring for Dad.

Strength Through Adversity
              My sister and I often worked on farm tasks together. She frequently exhibited greater strength than I did. Recently, as we labored on a small job around the farm, I observed her struggling with one portion of the task. I asked her to let me see what I could accomplish. I was a bit unsure since I could see that the situation required strong finger strength. We both were surprised when I got the job done.
              As I was astounded at my accomplishment, I mused on how I was able to do that. Then I recalled complaining early in the winter over sore thumbs. I had deduced my thumbs had overworked day after day opening the stubborn door of Dad’s old pickup. However, it dawned on me that something else had strengthened my thumbs – my lighter jacket’s snaps.
Thumb-strengthening snaps
           I  had begun wearing a jacket that Dad had been given by Bob Paslay after a renovation job at D and P Tank Service headquarters in Fairfax, Oklahoma. He had not worn it since it had a hood, but could not discard it since it was a gift from Bob.  He did not like hoods. I loved hoods and found a hood plus a stocking cap necessary for my cattle care attire. So when Mother offered the red D and P jacket, I snatched it up and began using it.
The logo on the red hooded jacket I wore.
              After wearing it during the years of 2012 and 2013, I wore out the zipper in the flannel-lined windbreaker through much use. Instead of replacing it, I began using the snaps on the old, comfortable hooded jacket to keep out the cold. During the moderately cool months of 2014, I strengthen my thumbs daily as I snapped the multiple snaps on the well-worn jacket.
          Often, we are strengthened emotionally and spiritually as we are forced to go through challenging experiences, being forced to exercise our weak faith in a mighty Lord. Only as we look back can we recognize how much stronger we have become by enduring a time of suffering, adversity, or sorrow.

After writing the above piece, Dad's health declined and worsened with one of the most challenging tasks being feeding him. He always wanted to eat and tried with all his being to swallow. The second stroke rendered that increasingly difficult for him. As the primary caregiver during his mealtime, I learned I must focus on my task - getting food down him without any choking. I couldn't dissolve into tears when I thought of having to help the strongest and most determined man I had ever known with a task necessary for his sustenance. My primary concern had to be positioning  just the right amount of food on the very best spot on the spoon to insure swallowing and no choking. My eyes must concentrate on the muscles in his throat. Time played no part. Getting every bit of nourishment from the container into Dad became my main mission, no matter how long it took. Assisting with those three meals each day built tenacity and strength into me. My emotions were tempered as a metal with this compassionate action three times daily. 
My grandfather, Calvin Callcayah Smith, liked using the translation by J. B. Phillips to enlighten his understanding of scripture. I close with a powerful scripture verse that, if  meditated upon, lived out, and internalized, will transform our response to difficulties. Here is a portion of James 1:2 from Grandpa's favorite version:
When all kinds of trials and temptations crowd into your lives, my brothers, don't resent them as intruders, but welcome them as friends! Realize that they come to test your faith and to produce in you the quality of endurance.

May God use this word of His to impact our daily existence. 

No comments :

Post a Comment