Sunday, May 14, 2017

21st Century Mothers

The Power of Young Mothers United
Do you ever find yourself cursing the darkness or maybe just complaining about how bad the world is? I consciously try to avoid complaining since I don’t find a release, but instead just get depressed.
                Maybe you have heard or read of horrendous behavior on the part of 21st century mothers. After hearing a news story of this nature, I have commented to Mother, “Your young cows are much better mothers to their little calves than so many women today!”
                 The photograph included in this posting is the first one taken of our newest calf and her mother. Grand Sir's Baby Girl, the first time mama, was one of the last heifers born from Dad's last bull that I had dubbed Grand Sir. Grand Sir's Baby Girl resembles the notorious bull and surprisingly, has his gentle, yet determined nature. As with all the other cows, Grand Sir's Baby Girl is already a stellar example of diligent care, watchful attentiveness, and nurturing mothering.
                A few months ago, I heard of some outstanding mothers in our community. Many of these young women have children under five years of age. These young mothers wear numerous hats – responsible employees, supportive wives, helpful daughters, volunteers in their churches and their children’s schools, and of course, caring mothers. Several of them are former students that I taught at the elementary school or they are married to young men who were third graders in my class.
                A young woman in our locale had a baby recently. When I stopped by to check on her, she shared of the highs and lows of the few weeks after her delivery. Then she told me of some incredible acts of compassion and kindness. The aforementioned young mothers organized and mobilized themselves with the use of social media to provide meals, baby necessities, flowers to cheer, along with many other encouraging gestures daily to help this new mom get back on her feet physically, mentally, and emotionally.
                When she related her postpartum experience, she also explained this cadre of caring, youthful women repeat this any time they learn that a baby is born in the community. I exclaimed, “That’s Christianity in action!” Whereupon, she wholeheartedly agreed with me and vowed to be a part of reaching out to the next new mom.
None of these generous girls’ names are appearing here for fear I might neglect to mention even one of them. If you know them, speak a word of encouragement and praise to them for being part of the solution needed in our world today. What a tribute to the good people that can be found in our area!
                As a loving gesture to my own mother, Bernyce Smith Gates, I have given her a reprieve from being the primary focus of this week’s blog posting. She says to me, “You write too much about me.”
                 I am refraining from relating a story that illustrates what a talented, loving, kind, sacrificial mother she has been to Angie, my sister, and me. Let this serve as a notice to her. This abstention from using her life experiences in my blog postings is only for this week. Mother’s stories are too good to not be told, especially while she can make sure I am accurately retelling them!
                Happy Mother’s Day to my mother and all mothers who work diligently to rear responsible children and continue to support their adult children in their life endeavors.             

No comments :

Post a Comment