Sunday, May 7, 2017

Tailer2 the Trusting Cat

He Trusts Me Completely
                Tailer, one of the four orphaned kittens, was a hyper, but loving, ginger-colored cat. Since he is no longer living, when I saw the ginger-colored male kitten last year, I dubbed the kitten – Tailer2.
Tailer2's favorite spot as I load the feed buckets.
                Tailer2 is the largest of our tom cats. Unlike his namesake, Tailer, he doesn’t have a hyper bone in his body. Instead his easygoing, loving nature endears him to anyone who meets him.
                Most days he is leisurely stretching and resting at the base of one of the barrels where the cattle pellets are stored. I try to be careful as I tramp in my boots filling the buckets with pellets. Tailer2 never gets alarmed about my movement, the buckets banging together, or even when I tip over empty barrels occasionally. It appears that he implicitly trusts me to do him no harm.
True to my teaching profession’s scheduling rigidity, Tailer2 and the other farm cats could set their watches – if they wore timepieces – by my feeding of them. I am not indicating that he equates feeding him with loving care, but he seems to have no fear of me, no matter my movements or noisiness.
Tailer2 lollygagging with complete
trust in me.
Recently, as I talked to Tailer2 about his trusting nature, I thought about myself. Am I like Tailer2? No matter what I see God do or not do, is my implicit trust evident? When it seems chaos suddenly invades my life, does my faith in God grow or do I begin to question His love and care?
Even when storms blow into our lives, do we look for Him walking on the water, as the disciples saw him do? (Mark 6:47-50) When we find ourselves in the fire as the three Hebrew young men did, do we look for the Son of God with us in the fire? (Daniel 3:23-25) Many times, I am more prone to question or jump on the “worry wagon” and insist on leaning on my own understanding and my wily finagling to fix the disaster.
The Bible has so much to say about trusting or relying on the Lord. Here are some verses for meditation and obedience:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8

Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him and He shall bring it to pass. Psalm 37:5

The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? Psalm 118:6

These verses provide only a springboard for further Bible study. Nathan Boehm in his blog posting entitled How Many Times Does the Bible Say “Fear Not?” indicates that over one hundred times, humans are commanded to not be afraid.
I hope I can mirror with my heavenly Father the same level of trust that Tailer2 has in me. May we assuredly know that God causes all things to work together for good for those who love Him.
One of my favorite quotes attributed to Charles Haddon Spurgeon, the renowned preacher of London during the 19th century, deals eloquently with trusting the Lord with all our heart. Let the words of the pastor known as "the Prince of Preachers" inspire us as we journey through this upcoming week.
God is too good to be unkind. He is too wise to be confused. If I cannot trace His hand,  I can always trust His heart.

To hear a song, based on Spurgeon’s quote, performed by Babbie Mason, click on the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWk8DRwDYDc

No comments :

Post a Comment