Sunday, July 22, 2018

Not a Putdown But a Badge of Honor

                                                                        She’s a Robbins!
            Dora and Ernest Robbins were both short of stature. I have overheard some of their taller descendants tease their shorter cousins with the taunt, “She’s a Robbins.”
           Three of my mother’s great-great-nieces descend not only from the Gates family but also from the family of Ernest and Dora Robbins. One of the girls nodded her head and rolled her eyes when I mentioned the phrase, “She’s a Robbins.” I responded quickly, “That’s a badge of honor.”
           Dora and Ernest were charter members of the Masham Baptist Church, which was the first church I attended. My father loved to tell how the church felt my mother should continue teaching the teenage girls Sunday School class. Mrs. Dora Robbins and Mrs. Myrtle Wills insisted they could care for me in the church nursery. In typical grandmotherly fashion, these two godly women let me do whatever I wanted. I have been told stacking blocks and then knocking them all over the nursery became my favorite activity. When I began to practice at home, Mother and Dad had to “break me” of that activity.
          Even to this day, I refer to them with respect, only being able to call them “Mrs. Robbins” and “Mrs. Wills.” These two visionaries knew the young women in their formative teen years in their church needed a teacher who would teach them God’s Word and how it could apply to their daily lives. These ladies were willing to sacrifice their Sunday mornings to care for me so Mother would teach.
          My grandparents respected the hard work ethic of Ernest and Dora Robbins. My grandma, Gladys Rainey Smith, had in her scrap book an article clipped from The Farmer Stockman. Written in the 1960s, the article deals with the innovations implemented by Mr. Robbins and his middle son, Wayne. (A scan of the article is below. Mr. Robbins and Wayne are pictured at the end of the article.)


           Wayne and Vonnie Laird Robbins, his wife, were not married when I first remember them. Their wedding is the first wedding I recall attending at the Masham Baptist Church. As a little one, I was so disappointed that Grandma clipped out the wedding announcement with a photograph of Vonnie and put it in her scrapbook. I remember insisting I needed a photo of them. This photograph is in our collection.
The photograph that Vonnie gave since
I wanted the newspaper clipping of her
in her wedding dress.


          In other blogs, I have mentioned that at Masham Baptist Church every week- or two-week-long revival concluded with testimony time on Saturday night. One that stood out in my memory was spoken by Wayne Robbins. He was a young husband and father. One statement that he made that evening was, “When we were growing up, there was never a question about going to church. We knew we were going.” Mr. and Mrs. Robbins made it clear to their children – We will serve the Lord.
          Maybe this explains my response to the gibe, “She’s a Robbins.” Being called “a Robbins,” based on the integrity, wisdom, and faith of the patriarch and matriarch, Ernest and Dora, truly is a compliment worthy of emulating. It does not matter whether their descendants are tall or short!
          Roy Lee Robbins and Delcie Robbins Barrett, two of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Robbins remain active members in the Masham Baptist Church along with many other grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great-grandchildren. Many descendants of theirs serve the Lord in numerous ways. What a powerful visualization of the impact of this couple to live out what they read in God’s Word! May we be inspired to do the same in our own families.

“…Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve,…
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

– a quote from Joshua as recorded in Joshua 24:15

No comments :

Post a Comment