Sunday, September 23, 2018

Just Some Snake Stories

Mother and I are so blessed to have some wonderful, young women as friends. A week or so ago, two of them saw what they believed to be a rattlesnake in front of our farmhouse. These thoughtful women turned around hoping to run over the snake, all the while thinking of the welfare of my mother and me. I graciously thanked one of them as she related the snake story and said, "We didn’t kill the snake, but at least it was crawling away from your house.” 
Once again I see why Mother says she wouldn't live anywhere other than the Bend. (Side note - These young women are relatively new Benders but we already love them. They carry on the tradition of women in the Bend being stellar examples of caring about their neighbors.)

The Back Story - April of 2014
           One of the best ways to explain about Tailer and Bob, the cats mentioned in the following account, seems to be through a link. A blog posting written four years ago provides the back story. https://bernadeanjgates.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-orphan-kittens-almost-90-days-old.html

Tailer and the Rattlesnake – Written in September 2014
           One late summer afternoon when Bob and Tailer were about five months old, I headed out the back door on my way to check the cattle’s water in the livestock tank located about a quarter of a mile from my parents’ farmhouse. Bob and Tailer always had to be “sequestered” on the enclosed back porch when I left the yard since they insisted on accompanying me anywhere I went. Usually, I could call their names a couple of times as I exited the back door, and they bounded up the steps into the enclosed porch. Not this time.
Tailer in an unusually calm pose.
          Tailer was focused on something near the pushed back garage door. The other farm cats were standing back observing Tailer. He was not to be distracted. I could hear what I thought must have been a loud cricket. As I got closer to Tailer, the sound became louder and I saw the markings. With a start, I leaped back quickly toward the house, realizing Tailer was within striking distance of a coiled rattlesnake. 
          My heart began to pound. Tailer was in danger, but I knew he was such a curious kitten. Tailer would never back away from the poisonous reptile. My head began to reel. Where was Bob? The two kittens stuck together most of the time. How could I protect both of them?
         As I breathed a quick prayer, I recalled my garden hoe was on the back porch. I needed to let my ninety-year-old mother know I was doing more than turning off the water at the filled livestock tank. Upon hearing “rattlesnake,” she insisted on going outside. By this time, Bob was ready to intervene in this noisy animal’s activity. Mother grabbed Bob using the “bad kitty carry” and transported him to safety on the porch.
         Sensibly, Tailer was keeping an eye on the serpent as well as keeping a safe distance. As I breathed a prayer for accuracy and strength, I struck a blow with the hoe at the snake’s head. Eventually, the dull hoe rendered the snake harmless for the young kittens wandering around the back yard.
         Tailer had sounded the warning on the poisonous snake. No person or other animal was injured because we adhered the warning of the orphaned, ginger kitten. How invaluable was the cat that some had scoffed at us for saving and repeatedly told us that he and his litter mates were expendable since we had so much to do with Dad’s care and the day-to-day farm chores! I shuddered to think if I had stepped on the poisonous rattler at dusk. How thankful I am that Tailer, the orange cat with the long tail, saved the day on the farm and earned a place in our hearts.
         So many people today do not see Satan for who he is. John was inspired to use an animal analogy to describe Satan, the enemy of God and people in Revelation 12:9 …that old serpent, called the Devil and Satan, who deceiveth the whole world.
         How many times do we receive warnings against Satan much the same way Tailer warned me of the rattlesnake? Do we heed the warnings?

Final Note
          Mother was chagrined at me for not photographing the rattlesnake that Tailer “hunted.” She was so disappointed the next morning when there was not enough of the dead snake left for an impressive photo.
          I am posting a photograph of Dad with one of the rattlesnakes he killed. Mother reminded me a cat alerted Dad to the rattlesnake in the photo below.
         Dad noticed a cat acting oddly in the front yard near the entry gates. As he got close enough for inspection, he heard the rattle and saw the characteristic markings.                  
Dad killed this rattlesnake in 1990.
            Mother insists the snake Tailer located was longer than the one Dad holds in the photo. I can't debate her. Let's just conclude cats are good for more than rodent control.

No comments :

Post a Comment