Sunday, March 3, 2019

A Daffodil, an Enduring Marriage, and a Greek Martyr


Weathering the Storms
                The day before we received the recent February snowfall, I opened the front door and glimpsed a lone daffodil standing stalwartly in the east flower bed. I thought, Little daffodil, you have no idea what is ahead of you!
                A few days later, as Mother and I exited the door to leave for church, to my surprise, the same sturdy daffodil swayed ever so gently in the light breeze. I marveled since a little less than a week ago, I had been positive the little flower would not survive the wintry weather. 
                I ticked off in my mind all that the flower had endured. The temperature dropped, freezing drizzle began, followed by snow. Then, we experienced blustery winds most of one day into the night. Some gusts measured 40 miles per hour!
                When the sun shone brightly, the gorgeous little daffodil’s brilliant yellow color virtually glowed in its glory. 
The Inspiring Daffodil - after the
freezing rain, snow, and wind

               
As I reflected and questioned how this fragile, buttery-colored posy endured, one fact came to mind. The solitary daffodil was located on the southern side of the house in the bed east of the porch. This tiny, resilient early bloomer had excellent protection from the brutal elements of the week’s weather. 
                 Viewing the hardy daffodil reminded me of a strong marriage. My parents’ wedding took place almost 71 years ago on March 4. They worked at their relationship for 67 years until Dad's death. Mother and Dad worked hard, managed diligently, and sacrificed to meet the financial challenge - well-known to many rural couples. Surely, it would have been much easier to satisfy some personal whim they might have had. Instead, both of my parents practiced faithful “team” parenting day after day.
Mother and Dad at their 50th Wedding
Anniversary in 1998
The beauty of the regal daffodil that withstood the brutal weather exemplified Mother and Dad's marriage enduring the storms of life. In 1948, Mother and Dad never dreamed how challenging life would become for them. Health issues, compounded by their aging, left them feeling like the little daffodil in the throes of disagreeable weather. The frigid wind blowing around it, the driving rain and sleet stinging its petals, and the gusts of wind yanking on the lone flower, trying to jerk it from the frozen ground by the roots my parents’ relationship in their last few years. Yet anyone who experiences a successful marriage will weather the storms of life.
The last words I recall spoken by Dad illustrated vividly his commitment to Mother. Following his second stroke, he seldom spoke. He communicated with nods of his head and his eyes. Our procedure each evening was reading the Bible, praying, and singing. Then we made sure he was comfortably positioned in bed for sleeping. Then I usually said, “Good night, Dad. I love you” while Mother sat in a chair next to his bed and holding his hand until he drifted off to sleep. One night she surprised me when she said to him, “We love you. Do you love us?”
I remember thinking, Mother, that’s a bit cruel since Dad seldom can speak. The thought had barely passed through my head when my father’s piercing blue eyes looked directly at Mother, articulating with a strong voice and genuine, fervent sincerity, “I sure do!”
Both of my parents affirmed adamantly their trust in the Lord enabled them to  withstand the storms of married life. Their commitment to Him gave strength to keep the vow “Till death do us part.”
Through every storm, they lived by this verse from Isaiah 25:4 You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in distress, a hiding place from the storm, a shade from the heat. When the breath of tyrants is like a winter storm. (CEB)
Like Polycarp, who was martyred in the ancient city of Smyrna (in what is now Turkey), at age 86, in the 2nd century, A.D., Mother and Dad would attest to God’s faithfulness. Polycarp  was quoted as saying, just prior to his sentencing, "Fourscore and six years have I served Him, and He has never done me injury; how then can I now blaspheme my King and Savior?"
Lord, may we look to You as storms come into our lives, as turbulence threatens our stability and sometimes bends us so low, we fear destruction of all we hold dear. May we dwell securely in You as our hiding place, as Your loving-kindness overshadows our worst situations, and Your peace envelopes us in a way beyond our understanding.

An afterthought - Dad enjoyed listening to bluegrass music, especially after his second stroke. As I wrote about Polycarp, I recalled this rendition of "He Ain't Done Me Nothing But Good" by the Isaacs, one of my favorite bluegrass groups. Mother cringed at the grammar but agreed with its message. Here is a link to it:

1 comment :

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful gift of seeing ordinary life and making it memorable and beautiful. Ron and Stella

    ReplyDelete