Sunday, April 7, 2019

Remembering a Much-Admired Mentor and Teacher


      Around this time of year, Ruby Rice comes to mind because April is her birth month. On her 96th birthday, I wrote a tribute about the overwhelming influence she had on my teaching style and skill, explaining how I knew Mrs. Rice for my whole life. Finally, I told of how we shared a deep commitment to Jesus. This blog posting, She Taught Me Almost Everything I Knew About Teaching Third Graders can be accessed at
      Recently, as we approach her 98th birthday, I recalled so many faces of third graders impacted by her. During our stint of teaching third graders together, she read aloud to all third graders daily as I taught first and second grade music. This resulted in her developing a bond with all third graders each year.
      This week while feeding cattle and thinking about Mrs. Rice reading daily to the students, I remembered how much she valued students enjoying her shared reading time. The face of a member of a nationally-recognized roping team popped into my memory. He loved to see Laura Ingalls get the best of Nellie Olsen!
      Many of her students are vital forces in our communities of Fairfax and Ralston today. Mrs. Rice taught our district's elementary principal as well as so many of my former teaching colleagues at Woodland Elementary School. Our pastor was taught by Ruby Rice. Business owners in our communities reaped the benefits of Mrs. Rice’s rigorous expectations insuring learning basic math facts, necessary reading and grammar skills. Throughout our area, there are upstanding citizens in healthy marriages, raising good kids and making this a good place to live. A myriad of them spent their third-grade year in Mrs. Rice’s classroom at Marlin Crowder Elementary School.
      I recalled a group photograph of our combined third grade classes. Pulling it from its storage envelope, I saw several fresh-faced third graders in the photo. They produced children who proved to be excellent students in my third grade classroom.
The Group Photo that Triggered This Blog Posting. 
      As I slowly perused the children standing between Ruby and me, I calculated the collective success among that class of third graders. How many more groups of third grade students had Mrs. Rice taught? Many of those students matured into adults whose successes ripple and echo through the decades that have passed over these 35 years. It is astounding how many people, in various parts of our nation, have been influenced for the good by these former students taught by Ruby Rice.
      Mrs. Rice valued her life-long marriage to her husband, her much-loved four children, her cherished grandchildren and her extended family. With diligence, she worked conscientiously as she taught each group of third graders. Yet to her dying day, Ruby esteemed, as most-treasured, her relationship with the Lord. As life ebbed from her, she clung to the promises in His Word until she saw Him face-to-face.
      Jesus said in Luke 6:40, The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher. I  have had face after face “scroll” through my mind. So many of Mrs. Rice’s students have followed the principles she taught. She would look at each of them sideways with her kind brown eyes and with her slight smile and comment, “I’m not surprised at how well you’ve done.”
      Those of us whose lives have been impacted by Mrs. Rice, as mentor and teacher, have a mandate to carry on her legacy. The world has changed so much since her days of teaching, but her powerful God and His Word are unchanging. For that reason, may we embrace and live out King David’s words in Psalm 31:24:
Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart,
All you who hope in the Lord.

No comments :

Post a Comment