Sunday, October 6, 2019

The Misidentified Feline

The pink house on Big Bend Road, only has farm cats. After the death of Tailer and the disappearance of Bob, the two bottle-fed kittens we raised, Mother and I covenanted with each other to revert to outdoor-dwelling, farm cats only.
The brindled mama cat had two kittens in the spring -  a solid black kitten and a gray and white kitten. The little gray and white kitten’s “personality” soon emerged. I misidentified the kitten as a female, naming the kitten “Princess.” The gentleness and insistence on interacting with me led to the feline inching its way into a relationship with people. 
Then a few months later, I discovered my mistake. I considered myself in good company in my error. In Doc Henry’s book, Just So You’ll Know, the renowned veterinarian and proud graduate of Ralston High School related of a young grandchild correctly noting the assumed female cat patient had “two buttons” putting a stop to the spaying procedure. If Dr. Raymond Henry could make a mistake like that, I told myself I would put myself in company like that any day.
The name tag “Princess” was changed to “Little P” a shortened version of "Little Prince." His disposition remains the same. He bounds to meet me as soon as I emerge from the back door. He climbs on Dad’s small toolbox to watch me open the wooden box made by Grandpa Calvin Callcayah Smith that serves as a container to secure the cat food. Whether watering or gathering tomatoes, hanging laundry on the clothesline, or just about any outdoor task, Little P acts as if he wishes he had thumbs to help.
The gray and white cat never shies away from looking right in my eyes. Little P enjoys being held whether on his back or the “bad kitty carry” or cuddled close. (Bob, the orange and white Manx cat, would "tolerate" me holding him about 45 seconds, even though he had been bottle-fed by us. Mother said he would look around and squirm a tiny bit as if to say, "Bernadean, that's enough. Let me down.") Not this 2019 farm cat - he loves those who care for him.
           Little P reminds me of David who withstood all kinds of difficulties because he delighted in his relationship with the Lord. In Psalm 73:28, he penned:
But I’m in the very presence of God – oh, how refreshing it is! I’ve made Lord God my home. God, I’m telling the world what You do! The Message
James, the half-brother of Jesus, wrote to the believers in his letter. In chapter 4, verse 8, the admonition is stated:
Come close to God and He will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners. Purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.
The young tom cat knows if he approaches me, I will respond to him. God is much the same way. When Little P hears even the slight jangle of the gate closure as I return from the pasture, without even hearing my voice, he rushes to me.
 Just as the sweet cat enjoys spending time with his person, the most perfect relationship with God is that of a believer who knows nothing better than time with Him – whether in Bible study, prayer, meditation, or going throughout the day in an attitude of awareness of His presence prompting obedience. May this prayer redirect us this week.
Lord, You alone know my heart delights to be in Your presence. Make me aware of You even when trials, incidental troubles, and disappointment creep stealthily into my day. Instead of yielding to the discouragement tugging down my spirit, enable me to rely on You, my unchanging God, for strength. Moment by moment, “give me grace to trust You more.”

No comments :

Post a Comment