Sunday, October 20, 2019

The Puny Tomato Plant


            Even though I planted late, all twelve tomato plants survived. Two more plants were given by our dear neighbor, Hubert Hutchens. Hube had grown his plants from seeds he planted indoors during late winter.
Most of the latter summer days, those plants provided slices of bright red, tasty tomatoes. One of the Celebrity tomato plants drew the lot of being planted in the narrow west bed, one of the least productive areas of the beds used by my grandma for her flowers. (To understand the background of my tomato planting narrative, go to https://bernadeanjgates.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-broken-limb-of-tomato-plant.html or https://bernadeanjgates.blogspot.com/2016/11/give-us-this-day-our-daily-tomato.html.These are a couple of the numerous writings I have posted on my journey as a tomato gardener.)
            Of course, the tomato plant in that section appears puny. It has yielded no tomatoes even though I have faithfully put our “compost” of pulverized eggshells, coffee grounds, and chopped-up banana peelings on it just like the others.
Recently when the freeze was predicted, I questioned whether to protect the puny tomato. After vacillating about what to do, I noticed a miniscule yellow blossom. My decision was made. I grabbed a trash bag, furled it open and turned it upside down to cover the unproductive plant. As I bent down to securely tie the bag’s ties around the sturdy stem of the plant, I thought Little Plant, I am giving you a chance to produce           
What a surprise to find two little yellow blossoms the next morning! Time and weather will determine the outcome for the puny tomato’s productiveness. 
           As I cared for this weakest of the tomato plants, I thought of Paul’s writings to the church of Corinth in the first century, A.D. He wrote in I Corinthians 1:27, 29, 31:
But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;
…No flesh should glory in His presence.
He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.
            How like the puny tomato plant we are in this world! Most of the time, I feel weak in innumerable ways - courage to face trials, physical strength to do what needs to be done, emotional stability to persevere, boldness to speak for the Lord, and faith to obey and not waver.
 Just as I provided water during dry stretches, put out our “compost” nourishment, tilled around the spindly plant and even covered it in preparation for the cold night, so God provides for us. He alone gives us life, breath, strength, opportunities for service, wisdom, protection and direction during dark seasons. Most importantly, only He provides salvation through His Son, Jesus.
As we recognize our innate weakness, we should immediately respond to His strength ready to work in our daily lives. Then when moment by moment, He empowers us to do what we could never do in our own finite power, may we give praise to Him. He alone is worthy of the honor and glory.

1 comment :

  1. Thank you so much, your word strike home. For me the boldness to speak for the Lord is so meaningful.

    ReplyDelete