Sunday, December 15, 2019

Memories Around a Timeless Children's Christmas Carol

                As Christmas approached, I pulled some music from the Christmas section of the many shelves of music above the little spinet piano where I often practice. In my hand was a vintage Little Golden book. 
                My earliest Christmas memories included that Little Golden Book since I have always loved music, including Christmas carols. At age three and four singing was never enough but my musical enjoyment often included dancing and playing my tiny piano.  
            I flipped the Little Golden Book open with surprise to see printed neatly “Angela Gates.” Never as meticulous as my sister, she had felt the need to take ownership of the book. I taught her the formation of letters when she was just three. Being more haphazard than Angie, I was quite a bit older before I began putting my name on books or music I owned. As we grew up, we shared printed music such as our piano lesson books and all other music in our household.
                The pages most imprinted on my little mind from the little Christmas carol book featured young angels in colored robes with wings tinted in pastel hues. Having been taught the story of Jesus’s birth from my youngest days, I knew angels didn’t dressed like this, but was drawn to the colorfulness. The second verse of “Away in the Manger” appeared on those two pages. How I loved that song with its expressive motions illustrating the message of the perennially-loved children’s Christmas carol! These words lodged in my mind, encapsulating the fathomless love of Jesus, His presence at the right hand of His Father in heaven, and yet present with me each night as a sleeping little one:
I love Thee, Lord Jesus! Look down from the sky,
And stay by my cradle till morning is nigh.

                 How thankful I am for parents and grandparents who took the opportunity of Christmas to introduce us to the coming of the Savior. As all children, the glowing lights, sparkling ornaments, vibrant colors, delicious baking smells and beautiful music heightened our excitement. The adults in our lives purposefully steered us in learning of the incomprehensible descent of the perfect Son of God into our world to redeem imperfect, undeserving humans. With tender hearts, we embraced the beauty and truth of the Baby Jesus coming solely to love the unlovable. My parents and grandparents believed the words of Jesus when He said, “Let the children come to me.”
                One of the foremost English pastors of the late 19th century preached a sermon entitled “Come Ye, Children” in 1897. Charles Haddon Spurgeon, the prince of preachers, spoke forthrightly to his parishioners with these words -
Anything we do to hinder a dear child from coming to Jesus greatly displeases our dear Lord. He cries to us, “Stand off.  Let them alone. Let them come to Me, and forbid them not.”
                This Christmas let’s commit to remind ourselves and those we meet, especially the little ones, of the precious Messiah whom we celebrate this season. Look for creative sights, smells, tastes, and sounds, especially music, for deepening our relationship daily with the Christ of the Christmas season. That's the real way to celebrate!

No comments :

Post a Comment