Sunday, July 11, 2021

The Broken and the Burdened

               

The Broken Day Lily Stem
              One evening when watering the tomato plants near dark, I noticed the broken stem of a day lily ready to bloom. Most likely the day lily became a casualty of one of the three energetic kittens’ rambunctious chases. A little disgusted with the frisky felines and in my hurry to get inside so Mother would not worry, I propped the broken stem up hastily on another healthy, strong day lily. I would see what the morrow held.
The Healthy Day Lily Supporting the 
the Day Lily with the Broken Stem.

                Sure enough, both day lilies bloomed. I did notice the healthy day lily obviously bent lower than it would normally have been. Had I not ladened it with the broken stem, it would have stood regally as the tiger lilies did.

               

The Two Day Lilies Beginning to 
Bloom the Next Morning
             I could not help but equate the bent down healthy day lily to one of Paul’s characterizations. In the second letter to the Corinthians, chapter 11, the Apostle Paul has been forced by the wayward, prideful church at Corinth to produce his resume of work in God’s kingdom, sacrifices for the Gospel, and persecution of all types. He detailed his service to the Lord to expose false teachers in the problem-plagued, gullible church in Corinth.

                As I looked at the encumbered day lily, I recalled verse 28 from 2 Corinthians 11, when Paul said, Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches. I envisioned Paul, bending over a bit, when he wrote those words. Each day, he was burdened with his concern not just for the Corinthian church, but all the churches Paul had planted.

                Even though bearing burdens demands sacrifice, stamina, patience, strength, perseverance and prayer, Paul gave the imperative in Galatians 6:2 – Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Just as the healthy day lily bent a little lower, so will the weight of sharing sorrows, concerns, and needs in the lives of others be felt in our own body, soul, and spirit.

                We must never forget the offer, the invitation, the gracious, tender bidding issued from the loving Savior Himself. Matthew 11:28 recorded Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My BURDEN is light.

                Lord, when you send people with burdens into our lives, give us strength to accept the challenge from You. Help us to lean upon You for rest and remain unwavering in assisting hurting and anxious hearts because You said if we serve in Your name, we are serving You. How we love You and desire to show our love with wholehearted obedience to You!

1 comment :

  1. Thank You for a life time of Caring for Us ALL God Bless You & Yours

    ReplyDelete