Sunday, March 5, 2023

The Three-Year-Old Political Activist

 Every generation has an obligation to vote their conscience after contemplating the results of not participating in a right so few in the world have. If you have an aversion to political discussions, I must warn you to not read further.

My Earliest Memory of Being a Political Activist

           This blog originated to share family stories, but unusual memories emerge from recessed compartments of one’s mind. One such recollection resurfaced prompting me to revisit the blog topic of this posting.

My sister characterized my younger years as always being driven by “a cause.” I thought it stemmed from the influences of the 1960s when I was a formative child and preteen. Music touched my core being from my earliest days, so hearing “If I Had a Hammer” or “Okie from Muskogee” or so many other ballads and cause-born songs must have been an impacting factor. Even Kurt Kaiser’s “Pass It On” that was sung by every church youth group in the 1970s, supported the idea I embraced of purposefully being an agent for positive change.

Never do I remember not knowing about the two major political parties of the United States. My paternal grandfather, Edmund Gates, Sr., was a staunch Republican, a devout follower of the party of Lincoln. He was worried about the national debt before most people even knew it existed! Yet as my aunt, Mamie Marie Gates Tice, stated often, “Papa was a man of principles.” On the opposite spectrum, my maternal grandpa was the precinct registrar and a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat. Yet I heard my parents say that both of their fathers had voted for a candidate of a party with whom they were not affiliated because of the candidate’s track record or the platform on which he campaigned aligned more with their personal beliefs.

Yet as I have contemplated the state question on Oklahoma’s ballot, a retrospection prompted a memory from April of 1959. I do not have the retention of a savant to recall with precise accuracy dates, but I did remember the account with my grandparents. Then to verify the correctness of my recollection, I corroborated the date with state history.

The day was either nearly spent or cloudy. Whether precipitated by the time of day or the weather, in my little almost-three-year-old mind, it felt ominous or foreboding. Perhaps the mission upon which my grandparents embarked lent to that atmosphere in the cab of Grandpa Calvin Callcayah Smith’s pickup. Always ready to go when a pickup left the farm, I was nestled between him and Grandma Gladys. She was the mastermind behind this fact-finding endeavor.

Calvin Callcayah and Gladys Rainey Smith with me standing between them.
Coincidentally, the photo of Willian Buckley, the husband of Emma Rainey
Buckley is on the piano just above my head. To read about the photo go to:

https://bernadeanjgates.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-theater-manager-who-married-rainey.html


Even though I was not quite three years old, my ears were always alert to whatever was happening with the four adults in our home. I knew Grandma was known as a radical or fanatic as a Christian. She tenaciously pursued people for the Lord. I had heard her talk of an older man, an alcoholic, who had bragged to Grandma about his “setting the bottle” before his sons. Each of his boys eventually became alcoholics, too. Then she told of how he turned to Jesus and away from his alcohol. The sorrowful, elderly man questioned her tearfully about why his sons turned a deaf ear to his request to follow him in embracing a commitment to Jesus. I knew she had witnessed boldly to moonshiners and other purveyors of intoxicating beverages that she met.

Oklahoma was voting that spring about introducing a more openness to selling alcohol in the state’s marketplace because the state needed the supposed massive amount of tax revenue that was being missed. My family disagreed with that state question. Grandma always put action to her beliefs.

As a member of the Masham Baptist Church, she and Grandpa had the blessing and support of the congregation to secure a billboard sign opposing this measure. With the help of members who were landowners on Highway 18, she had secured permission from one of the landowners to post the sign on their land. They had selected the most optimal place to position the sign to impact the most travelers on the state highway. The billboard had been erected to secure it no matter what spring weather might occur. Those committed farmers knew how do something like this.

What a shock to receive the phone call that the large sign had vanished! Evidently, the depiction of a passed-out person with the huge words emblazoned above the graphic, “The End Result of the Brewer’s Art,” registered too descriptive for someone. But who had moved such a bulky billboard? To locate the missing campaign message board was our mission – even though I was a less-than-three-year-old little girl.

In those days, our best communication was a party line. With a few calls and a few visits, it was determined the local county shop was the resting place of the sign that appeared to have vanished. Thankfully, I don’t recall who had been responsible for removing the campaign sign from private property.

Perhaps this early experience scripted me to continue to be an activist for what I believe strongly – maybe not as “out- there” as Grandma. If we are followers of Jesus and the Bible, we must search our hearts, asking what we believe about the principles that are important to ensure a state and nation that will honor the Creator that endowed us with the rights of life and liberty. Above all, we must choose. Not voting asserts that the non-voter will acquiesce and agree with whomever and condone whatever the majority of the electorate decides.

Anyone that knows me very well also knows in this way I am like Grandma Gladys - I will hold to my Biblically- based principles and Christian world view over economic gain or over public opinion. But as my father, Edmund Gates, Jr. would often say, he "fought for your right to your belief." Of course, I better close with my wise and seasoned 98-year-old mother's belief that one's vote should be cast, especially on a state question, based on the outcome “down the road” for the safety and well-being of our state citizens, especially our youngest, most vulnerable ones. She and I have discussed our observation from Oklahoma history. No legalization of "vises" to pursue taxes from them have been the end-all answer for our state's financial concerns.

You may disagree. We each are guaranteed by our constitution this right to express our beliefs. This right of free speech is uniquely an American right and privilege. Let's respect that in each other. So no matter if we differ sharply; hopefully, we can disagree agreeably.

No comments :

Post a Comment