Sunday, September 3, 2023

Age Is Only a Number

              Several times this summer I have glimpsed our oldest female cat leaping over the north gate of the yard fence. Special, dubbed that by Cailea Rice, is at least 7 years old. To learn more about Special in her younger years, go to https://bernadeanjgates.blogspot.com/2018/02/small-but-spunky-special.html
               Special still climbs on the north chicken house roof to “sun” herself. Interestingly, since we kept her last kitten, Baby Bug, Special still tries to “mother” Baby Bug even though Special’s baby is bigger than she is!

As Dad would say, "The oldest old lady cat on the hill."
                Special always speaks using several interesting “meows.” Just as C. S. Lewis, the famed 20th century British author posed in his plot of The Magician’s Nephew that animals communicated with ease to Eve and Adam in the garden, I always found it interesting that Eve spoke comfortably with the serpent in the Garden of Eden. I have mentioned to Mother that I think Special has much to say and I would understand her if we were in the Garden of Eden.
                To be a vintage or senior cat, whichever moniker one wants to give Special, she has such vim and vigor (or as Grandma Gladys would say, “vim and vinegar.”) The same is true with people. I recall what Deuteronomy 34:7 says of Moses, Moses was one hundred twenty years old when he died; his eyes were not weak, and his vitality had not left him.
                As I continued musing about Moses, I recalled the Bible used “friend” to describe the relationship Moses had with God. I flipped to that in my Bible and read the first part of Exodus 33:11 where it says, So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.
                Moses died with eyes still strong. His vitality remained robust indicating a healthy body. Then suddenly, the episode of disobedience entered my memory. While wandering in the Wilderness of Zin, water became scarce and the Israelites complaining ensued. Moses and Aaron went before the Lord in humility and the glory of the Lord was manifested. God directed Moses to take the rod and speak to the Lord. Despite the fact that God had led him step by step, Moses gave way to frustration and spoke to the people with these words, Listen, you rebels! Must we bring water out of this rock for you? The Biblical account in Numbers 20 records Moses raised his hand and struck the rock twice with his staff, so that a great amount of water gushed out and the community and their livestock drank.
                So many things were done perfectly by Moses but when Moses speaks right before striking the rock, the reader can since his disgust with the people. He could have simply called water from the rock in total obedience to the Lord God. Moses didn’t. As a result, God speaks to both Moses and Aaron in verse 12 of Numbers 20. This is from The Message, …Because you didn’t trust me, didn’t treat me with holy reverence in front of the People of Israel, you two aren’t going to lead this company into the land that I am giving them.
                As we age, how important our responses with words and actions become! Even though we may have vigor and health like our farm cat, Special, may our responses always give the Lord all glory, recognizing His almighty work in our daily lives. Here is a prayer from Psalm 71:17-18 to pray with a desire to age well like our Special.

God, You have taught me from my youth, and I still proclaim Your wonderful works. Even when I am old and gray, God, do not abandon me. Then I will proclaim Your power to another generation, Your strength to all who are to come.

No comments :

Post a Comment