Sunday, September 24, 2023

A Sister Is Born for Adversity

As Angie's birthday approached, I recalled one of Dad's sayings about Mother. He would say, "I give her the roses now." He meant that he expressed daily how much Mother meant to him with his words of thankfulness and praise. Angie and Ben, my sister and brother-in-law, are so instrumental in Mother and me staying on the farm. One of the greatest gifts we can give one another is true appreciation and thankfulness for specific ways our loved ones make our lives meaningful.

Happy Birthday, Angie!

As he prefers, Ben is out of sight taking this photo on Mother's Day in 2022.

                 This week is my sister’s birthday. I recall the morning my maternal grandma awakened me with the news, “You have a new baby sister!” How glad and relieved I was!

                The relief stemmed from many times over past few months when I was with Dad. Invariably, someone would say, “Edmund, I hear you’re gonna get your boy.” My little five-year old heart would sink. I did not want a brother, but it seemed almost everyone thought Dad needed a boy.

                Angie wasn’t perfect, but I could tell by comments made, she was an easier baby to handle – slept better, cried less, and was much calmer than I had been. Even I could compare and know that most of those observances were correct.

               As soon as she could crawl, Grandma admonished me, “You watch that baby.” I took that instruction pertaining to Angie's safety quite seriously for a little five-year-old.
                There were a few times my dogging her steps paid dividends. I discovered her with a pill bottle opened and consuming pills that resembled M & M’s. ER visits were unheard unless someone was on death’s door so Mother called the family doctor and was told of the complications Angie might have. Obviously, she recovered.

                Angie entered a phase of hiding. Of course, with Grandma’s mandate looming over me, I bordered on being panic-stricken. I discovered this tiny preschool prankster hidden under a bed in Grandpa and Grandma’s bedroom, an off-limits area for her and me. During the  search I tiptoed in reluctantly. We both know that we never entered that room without Grandma, but my little risk-taking sister had. 

                Another time she was found in a small room with no windows or a light in the old garage that Grandpa dubbed “the snake room.”  Ironically, Mother admitted recently she hid the very same way often under the porch at the house where she and her parents lived.

                Fast-forwarding to the last two years, Angie has lived out the scripture phrase from Proverbs 17:17b that reads …a brother is born for adversity or the interpretation I like, a sister is born for adversity. She began staying with Mother if I had a dental or optical appointment or other necessary obligation.

                Then following a test in the summer of 2022, it appeared surgery would be inevitable. When the word oncologist appeared in the description of my surgeon, Mother became uneasy. Her anxiety intensified as other appointments and tests became inevitable. Angie, the take-charge sister, said, “I will take Bernadean to the appointments.” She took me to every surgeon appointment and additional test which put Mother’s mind at ease.

                Angie and Ben opened their home for Mother and me during the time I had surgery in October. She changed the décor to predominantly pink in the bedroom where Mother slept, and Ben lowered the bed to conform to the height of Mother’s own bed at the farm.

                Post-surgery, upon our return to the farm, during November, Angie, Vonda and Greg Goad cared for the cattle. Angie figured ways to work smarter, not harder in our cattle feed hauling, a safer procedure for putting out bales, and a few other tasks. Angie came at least once a week to help with whatever needed her assistance and has continued that practice.

                One Sunday in May, I returned to find Mother on the floor after a fall that she explained succinctly, “I was trying to do too much.” We thanked the Lord Mother sustained no injuries, but Angie reminded me she had suggested more than once about coming on the weekends, so she began coming each Saturday to be with Mother, especially on Sunday mornings when I go to church. With Mother’s limited mobility, Angie’s presence has decreased Mother’s anxiety.

                Both of us are in complete agreement with giving Mother the kind of life she wants – in the Bend, in her pink house. Angie’s help has been significant, but her attitude with her willingness to help, without a syllable of complaint, and a cheerfulness and eagerness to assist even in distasteful, difficult farm tasks has been invaluable.

                Mother often quoted from I Corinthians 13:4-7 duirng her parenting. Angie demonstrates these verses each week. They seem the perfect reminder for how we show our love to one another. They have truly been words my sister has lived by for which I am grateful.


Love suffers long and is kind;

Love does not envy;

Love does not parade itself, is not puffed up,

Does not behave rudely,

Does not seek its own, is not provoked,

Thinks no evil,

Does not rejoice in iniquity,

But rejoices in the truth;

Bears all things, Believes all things,

            Hopes all things. Endures all things.

1 comment :