Sunday, August 17, 2014

Aunt Daisy's Philosophy

So many times when Aunt Daisy would be visiting with us,  I would hear her say something like this, "Do a good turn when you can because you never know when you will need someone to do a good turn for you." This principle related to everyone--it didn't matter who they were, what station of life they came from--everyone had value and by mere existence had earned the right to be the recipient of kindness.  In our world today, people especially the most vulnerable such as children and the elderly, as well as animals, and possessions are easily discarded as useless, worthless, and of no value.  I am trying to learn to look closer at people and things to see beyond what is "surface" and live by Aunt Daisy's adage--not knowing when a person or thing that I might have been tempted to dismiss or discard would be exactly who or what I would need in the future.  Aunt Daisy lived by this principle, and many of us reaped the benefits of her generous, loving lifestyle. I thought of her as I reread this devotional that I wrote several months ago.
Daisy Dean Rainey Rice, mother of  Orlean, Hazel,  Elmer, Ethel, Virgil, and Dean. She was the sister of my grandmother, Gladys Rainey Smith.
The Useless Tire and Stacks of Newspapers
Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful both to you and to me. Philemon 1:11 (NRSV)  - Written to Philemon concerning a formerly rebellious servant who Paul had met and led to faith in Christ.
            How many times had I ranted to Dad about the slow-leak tire? More than a dozen times I had exclaimed, “Dad, you shouldn’t have to air this tire up every few days. You need to just replace it.”
            After his stroke when I began taking care of the cattle, Mother bought a new tire, and we sidelined the slow-leak tire. But wouldn’t you know, even as I write this, the slow-leak tire is on the pickup. This isn’t the first time I have had to use it. The tire that I thought was worthless has become profitable to me as a much-needed spare tire.
           A second rant of mine involved the daily newspaper that Dad likes. I complained about how the old newspapers stack up. We had four or more paper sacks full of them. Mother heard me say more than once in a quite annoyed voice, “No wonder people subscribe to digital newspapers. They don’t have to deal with discarding the already read ones.” My brother-in-law describes me as a “tree-hugger.” In all fairness, I just like to recycle, but recycling centers are rare in the Bend.
          Who would have ever believed I would be heard saying to Mother, “Store those newspapers so I can use them with the kittens.” So many kitten care activities clean up much easier if a newspaper is beneath items such as food and water bowls and litter boxes. Boy, have I had to eat my words since we began caring for the orphan kittens!
         In life, frequently the things that annoy us most turn out to be most “useful” to us. Even the Apostle Paul who penned the scripture above experienced that as well. In his first missionary journey, John Mark, as a young man, was on the mission team. For some reason, half way through the mission trip, he bailed out on Paul and Barnabas, headed back home, and left a greater load for the rest of the team. Paul wouldn’t hear of him being considered for a second trip. Yet in Paul’s final letter before he was martyred, he specifically requested Mark (same guy, just older) be sent to him.
        After having to eat my words far more than just the two incidents mentioned, I am learning to not discount people or resources, even if it’s a slow-leak tire and old newspapers.
         Lord, make me aware of the blessings of people and tangible assets – no matter how seemingly insignificant – that You have brought into my life. Help me to see the value of individuals and never look at any person as “expendable" but treasure that person as You intended me to do.

No comments :

Post a Comment