Sunday, September 13, 2015

Reflections for Grandparents Day

As I wrote this tribute, Angie, my sister, made me aware of a staggering statistic quoted by Cheryl Makin of Courier News in an article entitled More Grandparents Are Raising Grandkids. She stated, "According to the 2010 U.S. Census data, 4.9 million American children are being raised solely by  their grandparents." That number more than doubled the amount in the 2000 Census of 2.4 million. Grandparents have always been key to a child's upbringing, but in the 21st century, more than ever.
The Influence of Grandparents
                The powerful influence of grandparents echoes down the decades from the previous century on Grandparents Day. What an ideal time to recall the spiritual impact of my own grandparents! Even though three of the four of them were born in the 19th century, the moral and spiritual fiber woven into their lives remains strong and relevant in today’s society.
                My paternal grandfather, Edmund Gates, Sr., diligently instructed his children in learning, understanding, and following the Ten Commandments. In honor of him, I am listing them in today’s language.
1.                   God says, “Don’t worship any gods besides me.”
2.                   Do not worship idols of any kind.
3.                   Do not misuse the name of the Lord, your God.
4.                   Remember to keep the Sabbath day holy.
5.                   Honor your father and mother.
6.                   Do not murder.
7.                   Do not commit adultery.
8.                   Do not steal.
9.                   Do not lie.
10.               Do not covet anything.
Amidst the controversy that surrounds the Decalogue from Exodus 20 in the Bible, I know that these biblical morals taught by Grandpa Gates are being passed down to his great-great grandchildren. What family can go wrong with that?
I recall my paternal grandmother, Mamie Irene Tripp Gates, attending church services at the Big Bend Baptist Church with her dear friend, Fern Anson. As a young child, I did not realize what a blessed little girl I was to be with both my grandmothers on Sunday mornings.
I alluded to  Grandma Gates’ strong belief in the power of fervent, consistent prayers  in the book collaboration between my father and me detailing his World War II experiences. Below is an excerpt from that book Okie Over Europe that illustrates Grandma’s prayer life.
Edmund affirmed that he had sent a cable to his mother the last time he was in London.  His comment to Bernyce (in a letter) was, “That was just after a big day, and I knew Mother would be worried.”  His use of the phrase “big day” meant the Eighth Air Force had put up hundreds of planes and had many planes shot down or missing in action.  He knew his family would get the news by radio.  At that time, the radio was the quickest method of accessing the latest news from around the world.  Edmund knew his mother would especially be worried about him. 
His mother would later tell him that after he had completed his missions, she had met a local preacher in a store. The man told her he had heard that Edmund had finished his missions and remarked, “Edmund was lucky.”  Immediately, his mother, a very gentle and reserved woman, shot back without blinking an eye, “No!  God took care of him.”  Edmund knew her faith in God was her mainstay as she dealt with having two sons fighting in Europe.  Jess, Edmund’s brother, was based in Italy flying gliders for the Allied effort against the Nazis.
Mamie Irene Gates Tripp holding me (at 9 months old) and Edmund Gates, Sr.
holding my cousin, Randy Johnston (almost 4 months old).

Gladys Vivian Rainey Smith, my maternal grandmother, ensured that I knew by heart all of the Bible stories by the time I was five. She read them to me and found as many creative ways as possible to impart Biblical knowledge. When we did dishes together, she always washed and then recited with me  the books of the Bible as I dried each dish and eating utensil.
            Many people have commented on my grandmother's bold witness for Jesus. She knew the difference her commitment to Him had on her own life and wanted everyone to experience that same transformation. 
Since my maternal grandparents lived with us, almost daily I heard my grandparents pray for Angie, my sister, and I. Even today, I vividly hear , in my memory, my grandfather’s voice praying, “Bless the girls.” Calvin Callcayah Smith, my maternal grandfather, practiced consistent prayer because he knew the power of it. The scripture mentions in Revelation 5:8, “…golden bowls of incense which are the prayers of the saint.” Not only do my grandfather’s prayers remain in my memory, but remain at the very throne of God in heaven, continuing to be answered.
Calvin Callcayah Smith holding Angie Gates Bradley (aged 2 years) with me
                sitting next to my maternal grandmother, Gladys Vivian Rainey Smith. I was 7 years old.
Godly grandparents have impacted more lives than can be imagined. God continues to use their memories for positive influence in our lives. In our fast-paced society, grandparents that love, teach,  and nurture remain more valuable than any amount of money for their grandchildren.

No comments :

Post a Comment