Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Emergency Last September

Bob’s Emergency Procedure
         As I opened the door to let Bob and Tailer out of their sleeping “kitty condo” on that September morning, I recognized Bob was lying quietly and gravely ill. Instantly, I realized that he had a problem unique to Manx cats. I immediately contacted Dr. Reavis, their vet. He said, “Bring him down now.”
         Upon examining Bob, his veterinarian said, “This is serious, but I think I can fix it.” He assured me he would notify me when Bob would be well enough to be picked up.
         From the day we began bottle-feeding Bob and his littermates, I began researching the Manx breed. I knew the breed had a propensity to this intestinal issue. Now my greatest fear for him was reality. There was no guarantee of his recovery. All these thoughts pervaded my mind as I drove back to the farm without Bob.
         I learned early that death was a part of having cats on the farm. As Grandpa would say, "Varmits get them." My own father describe our farm cats as "vulnerable." Our relationship with Bob and Tailer began the day of their mother's disappearance on the tenth day of their lives. We became their "mother" to them - nurturing, feeding, doctoring, and becoming more attached to them than any farm cat we'd ever had. Now Bob's severe illness thrust me into the challenge of managing over-the-top worry about the bob-tailed feline.
          Fixating on all those worries must cease. Turning on the car radio to get my mind on something besides Bob’s problem, I heard a sermon focused on the importance of prayer by Dr. Charles Stanley emitting from the speakers. He was encouraging his listeners to keep a prayer journal. I kept prayer lists at that time but had gotten away from the prayer journal.
         As soon as I arrived at the farm, I opened my journal to a section to create a prayer journal section. After writing that September date, one can imagine, my first entry was for the success of Bob’s emergency procedure.
         Later that day I picked up Bob, bringing him home to recover fully. Within a day or two, Bob was back to his old self. With a grateful heart, I wrote the date of that day next to my prayer entry about Bob’s emergency procedure.
         Since that day almost a year ago, I have faithfully used my prayer journal section, creating several pages. Scripture itself provided a basis for me writing my prayer concerns. David wrote in Psalm 5:1 “Give ear to my words, O Lord, Consider my meditation.”
        More importantly, my relationship with the Lord has deepened as I have seen multiple prayers answered. Psalm 37:4-5 states, “Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass.”
        As I thumb through the pages of my prayer journal, I see a visual reminder of God’s faithfulness that I feel compelled to share with others. David also wrote in Psalm 9:1 “I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will tell of all Your marvelous works.”
       So often during my day, I reflect on various times and ways God has obviously answered requests and concerns that I had written on the pages of my prayer journal. Filled with gratitude and a more grounded trust in Him, praise rises from my heart. Again David penned so beautifully this thought in Psalm 63:3-4, “Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise You. Thus I will bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name.”
       Finally, Bob’s emergency trip resulting in me resuming my keeping of a prayer journal illustrates Philippians 2:13 “For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.” The Lord works in the lives of those who trust Him even in the stressful, difficult situations. Who would have believed an emergency trip to the vet could bring about spiritual growth in such a powerful way in my own life?
Recent photo of Bob taken by my sister, Angie. Other blog postings 
have been published about Bob and Tailer on Faith_Family_Farm.

No comments :

Post a Comment